We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

too many choices, too many sketchy reviews

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
too many choices, too many sketchy reviews

First time to Charleston for my wife and me this mid July..want to stay in/near the historic district(I think) in something akin to the Rutledge House. We want authentic, yet we want to be comfortable..Let's be honest here; I like air conditioning, non-musty rooms, nicely appointed rooms...but I don't care if there's a ghost or two floating around the place. Pool? Yes, that would be nice, but I'm having trouble finding that ilk of accommodation with a pool. Was it the Elliott House Inn that looked promising? I couldn't believe what I was reading about one post of the Battery Carriage place..you don't stay IN the house, but in some corner basement room? What the..

And, as highly touted as their site looks with the Travel Channel recommendation by Samantha Brown, the Palmer Home had some bad reviews that made me run away.

I'm afraid many of these charming old southern places are run down and living off of their reputations of 100 years ago.

Somebody..please..narrow it down to 5 places for me...up to $225 a night.

Help help help.Thanks.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: too many choices, too many sketchy reviews

LOL

You're kidding, right?

It just sounds to me like you're going into this trip already expecting to hate the town, the accomodations, probably the restaurants.

You will get some great recommendations for lodging in Charleston on this site. Please use them as a guideline, not as Gospel. Travelling is always a gamble, but to me the chance of a bad room in Charleston or any 'tourist' town is pretty remote.

There are hundreds of hotels in/around Charleston and I hope you can find what you're looking for and have an enjoyable visit. Oh, and please be open-minded. Charleston is an ooooold city, so don't expect a bunch of shiny skyscrapers and a Starbucks on every corner.

Chicago
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: too many choices, too many sketchy reviews

Will do Floski...No, I'm expecting the best, but these darned posts are so confusing on the B&Bs. I'll just have to trust my instincts.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: too many choices, too many sketchy reviews

Most B&B's and many of our smaller inns do not have pools. You may be happier at Charleston Place, Mills House or some of the hotels that do have pools. Be sure to check amenities that are your priorities before booking your room.

Remember that the review here as well as on the Travel Channel are opinions of people. A property can change, too.

I agree with some of the reviews here but others, I wonder if they are seeing the same thing places I see or if they have a hidden agenda. What makes one person very happy will really irritate another.

Charleston
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: too many choices, too many sketchy reviews

You need to try the French Quarter Inn, the HarbourView Inn & the Planters Inn if you want nice Historic Boutique Hotels. If you want something with a pool and something that is historic then the Mills House fits that.... All are nice clean places to stay right in the middle of Downtown Charleston..

5. Re: too many choices, too many sketchy reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 15:19