We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help... Need Some Ideas

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Danville, VA
1 post
Save Topic
Help... Need Some Ideas

I am currently planning a family vacation to Charleston, SC in the month of July, but would like to do a little more than the historic houses, plantations, and the beach. The ages of my children are 15 and 3, and we plan on visiting the USS Yorktown, taking in a carriage ride, and visiting one of the plantations.

Are there other attractions that would interest my family?

The aquarium sounds nice, but we've visited 3 aquariums in the past 2 years.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
672 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help... Need Some Ideas

You could always add a nighttime ghost tour to that (they are really great - hopefully not too scary for your 3 year old!) - either Bulldog Tours or The Original Charleston Walks. Also, you could spend part of an afternoon touring the market - there's plenty that your kids will want you to buy them!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
317 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help... Need Some Ideas

Paint some pottery and you will have a unique souvenir from Charleston. Maybe your kids would like that; especially if it is raining or you have inclement weather. There is/was a paint your own pottery place near Belle Hall's Harris Teeter in Mt. Pleasant.

In North Charleston there is a big putt putt golf complex, go-carts, etc. There is also a smaller one near the bridge to Sullivan's Island, but it is only putt-putt golf.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help... Need Some Ideas

A good place to cool off might be the Carolina Ice Palace for ice skating. It is up near Northwoods Mall. From downtown, take I-26 north to Ashley-Phosphate exit and cross over Ashley-Phosphate and it will be about a block up on the left just before you get to the mall. There is a Sticky Fingers across the street for a great meal afterwards!

Charleston, SC
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help... Need Some Ideas

You may want to check out Barrier Island Eco Tours (or one of the other similar tours). They offer boat tours, kayaking, fishing, trips to Capers Island, etc.

Also - for the kids maybe Blackbeard's Cove Family Fun Park in Mt. Pleasant - small, but fun for the kids. The James Island County Park and North Charleston County Park both offer water parks - lots of fun and a great place to cool off.

There are also tours of Fort Sumter and Charleston Harbor tours.

Check out the Charleston Visitor's Bureau website - http://www.charlestoncvb.com/ for some ideas!

Good luck -I'm sure you'll find plenty to do!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help... Need Some Ideas

Charleston Children's Museum, right behind the Visitors Center.

http://www.explorecml.org

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
422 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help... Need Some Ideas

If the kids like sports you can check out a River Dogs baseball game. We're going in August and have tickets for the Fri game that has fireworks.

It gets very good reviews.

7. Re: Help... Need Some Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 18:17