We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for activities

Tennessee
5 posts
Save Topic
suggestions for activities

I am bringing my family for a family vacation to Isle of Palms in the middle of Sept. We are very excited about the chance to visit Charleston as well as the beach. We will have with us a 3 year old and a 6 month od so we need to plan our time wisely.

1. What are your suggestions of thing in Charleston that woud be doable with children but could be done in shorter than a day time frame?

2. What are the must dos? (I have a feeling I will have to come back)

3. When coming in to Charleston, where would be the logical place to park? We will have a double stroller with us.

4. I am a coupon/deal addict, is there somewhere on line, etc to find those?

5. I am a little concerned about the beach erosion on Isle of Palms after reading this site. I was assured that where we are staying it is ok. We are staying at Mariner's Watch in Wild Dunes. Does anyone know of the beach condition there?

6. What are the reasonable places to rent bicycles, beach chairs, etc and are they rentable in September or has everyone closed by then?

Thanks in advance for your help, I will also post this on Isle of Palms site.

Iowa
Level Contributor
145 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for activities

I recently took my kids (3 & 11) to Charleston and their favorite part of the visit was playing in the fountains at Waterfront Park. It's lots of fun and free, also a great waterfront view for the rest of you to enjoy. After they are done playing, head down (south?) on East Bay Street...you will go by Rainbow Row, this will lead you the the Battery and White Point Gardens (lots of cannons for the kids to climb on & great picture taking)....these are a must see. Stroll back up on Church Street for a lovely, curving street full of more beautiful houses. This is a very basic but gorgeous must-see route. I believe the Visitor's Center has a number of coupons. Not sure about online coupons. We usually park in the city parking garages, there are quite a few downtown. We parked in the one just North of the Mills House, it was very convenient to everthing. The kids might also enjoy the Aqarium, I've heard it's great. Sorry, I can't help you with the other questions.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for activities

If you have kids with you, I recommend the ghost and/or pirate walking tours. Bulldog Tours seems to be the consensus best: bulldogtours.com/charleston-sc-walking-tours…

Enjoy!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for activities

For coupons just go buy the visitor's center when you arrive. I was able to pick up lots of discounts for restaurants and activities there.

4. Re: suggestions for activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 14:19