We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Charleston Dinner + Show?

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
North Charleston Dinner + Show?

Hubby and I will be at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center this Saturday night for a show starting at 8pm.

We would like to have dinner beforehand without having to worry about being late to the show, so I was thinking somewhere around that area.

Do you think Middleton Place would be do-able for dinner? Is it close? Any other suggestions? Would prefer something with a view.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Charleston Dinner + Show?

Middleton Place is about 20 minutes away from North Charleston. At the plantation, you walk through the grounds (5-10 minutes?) to/from the restaurant. Since they start serving dinner at 6 pm, you would be really pushing it to be at an 8 pm show. Possibly do-able, but probably not relaxing. An early dinner downtown might work better. I hope someone will respond with other suggestions.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Charleston Dinner + Show?

I would absolutely not try Middleton if you want to ensure getting to your show on time. It's pretty far away and there are way too many things that could slow you down.

Now, as for somewhere else, that one's tough (especially the "something with a view" part).

I've been sitting here, racking my brain, trying to find something suitable, but having little luck. You don't mention what kind of show or what kind of food you prefer, so I assume a nice show and a similarly nice restaurant. I'm sure I'm overlooking something, but I can't for the life of me come up with an answer. There are the usual places like Outback, Red Lobster, Fatz, etc, but nothing that I would consider really 'nice'.

Perhaps another poster can help. Sorry.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Charleston Dinner + Show?

Thanks for putting the thinking caps on guys! It is Brian Regan, the comedian. Not dressy. We are going for something semi-casual, but not a chain since we will be around such good choices in Charleston! Any ideas?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Charleston Dinner + Show?

WOW! That's a tough one...I would not try Middleton Place with that time frame as the other have said. Floski is right - around that the restaurants are mainly chains. In addition, there is a new Chili's on International Blvd. at 526 and there are some Chinese and Mexican places across from the convention center but nothing special...maybe just grab a quick bite on the way at one of the chain places and have a nice appetizer & dessert in a nice restaurant downtown afterwards!

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Charleston Dinner + Show?

Good idea. We may do the Middleton Place tour and late lunch well before the show, then dessert/drinks afterwards downtown. Thanks for the ideas!

Now if I could just decide where to stay... : )

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Charleston Dinner + Show?

Good idea! Lunch at Middleton Place is delightful ... and plenty of food to hold you through the show. Have fun!

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Charleston Dinner + Show?

Hey guys! We ended up at Shem Creek for a heavy lunch. It was too hot/humid for Middleton Place but will do at Thanksgiving, so looking forward to it! I posted a Trip Report as well...

Thanks again.

8. Re: North Charleston Dinner + Show?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 10:18