We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Friendly Road Trip

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Topic
Dog Friendly Road Trip

My family (six adults) and two small well-behaved shih-tzu dogs are planning a road trip along the S.C. coast in late April, specifically Charleston, Beaufort, Hilton Head. We've done this trip before but never with the puppies. Any suggestions as to dog-friendly hotels, restaurants with outside dining/patios that allow dogs, delis/sandwich shops with nearby parks that we could eat lunch? We carry the dogs in doggie backpacks so there is no need for them to walk in crowded public places but were wondering how small dogs are received in the areas that we are going to. Thanks for any insight and suggestions!

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
802 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Friendly Road Trip

Try the Vendue Inn or the Indigo Inn if you are wanting to stay downtown, or the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn on Savannah Highway if you are wanting not to stay downtown. There are some restaurants with patios/courtyards that should be ok with ya'lls dogs...Bubba Gump, A.W. Shucks, and Vickerys all come to mind off of the top of my head. You could eat at East Bay Deli downtown, really good, a bit of a hike from the main attractions, but they do have a few outdoor tables in the back and it is right near a good size grassy park area. You could also visit Waterfront Park...Vendue Inn is right near Waterfront Park. There is nowhere right there with outdoor seating, but get something to go from the Griffon (English style pub) and take it down to the park.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Friendly Road Trip

Bridgeview Suites in Mt Pleasant is pet-friendly and within walking distance of the Arthur Ravenal bridge.

AC's is a bar/grill on 17, about 2 miles from Bridgeview Suites. It offers outdoor, covered seating (very casual) and great burgers/fries. Both nights I saw owners and their dogs.

Enjoy!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Friendly Road Trip

Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant is one of the most dog-friendly places I know. Red's has water dishes everywhere for your pets, and there have been days we've been there that only 1-2 tables did NOT have dogs. Great place to go for beers and views. If you're here in April, try to go to the House and Garden tours.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Friendly Road Trip

Thanks for all the advice! Our trip is in the "planning stages" so this information is very helpful.

columbus oh
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog Friendly Road Trip

Have you taken the trip yet? Can you offer advice?

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog Friendly Road Trip

I second the Vendue Inn in the French Quarter for a great pet-friendly place to stay - excellent location! Not too sure about pet-friendly places to eat in downtown Chaleston?

Folly Beach has the Lost Dog Cafe' where you can take your pet for breakfast or lunch - we always do breakfast. Go early 'cause they can get very busy!

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog Friendly Road Trip

I second Lost Dog Cafe in FB. Great food & atmosphere...

8. Re: Dog Friendly Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 13:18