We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to go

New Jersey, NJ, USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
When to go

We are planning a trip to Charleston and we were wondering when the best time of year to visit is? We were thinking of comming in the fall. Please let me know what you recommend!

Thanks in advance

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: When to go

Anytime of year is great but fall and spring are optimal for the temperatures alone. Summer can be scorching and winter can be cold. I think you'll enjoy the fall - less crowded and better rates.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to go

Agreed. Even well into October it's warm enough to go to the beach, but the muggy weather is history by then. Most days are sunny, dry, and clear with temps in the 70's.

Toronto
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to go

I'd have to recommend the spring not only because of the weather, but because the azaleas are in bloom and it is absolutely beautiful. Even if you aren't interested in gardens you'll love it! Try to visit Middleton Place Plantation just outside Charleston for an experience to remember. middletonplace.org

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to go

South Carolina in the spring is a treat for the senses, but the drawback to that is the mobs that descend on popular vacation areas. Big events in Charleston like Spoleto serve to drive both the numbers of visitors and the hotel prices higher. That's part of why I cast my vote for fall.

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to go

We just got back from a trip there. Spoletto was going on. It was a big added bonus. We stayed at the Francis Marion and a huge art show was going on right across the street. The gardens are beautiful right now too. The drawback is that it is very hot right now. I didn't mind too much. I just stopped alot for water or an italian ice(they have carts set up everywhere).

Level Contributor
9 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to go

Late fall is a good time, I especially love Charleston from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Downtown is nicely decorated and the summer tourist crowds are gone. The weather is still temperate and rates at hotels during the week are usually reasonable. Come visit!