We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in the South East: Charleston, Nashville, or ???

North Carolina
12 posts
Save Topic
4 days in the South East: Charleston, Nashville, or ???

HELP! His birthday is next week and I thought I'd suprise him with a get away trip, Want to have all reservations done and present. We would be going during the first couple wks of Feb. Also in the suprise, I'm hoping, our friends from FT MYERS will join us.

At first I thought Nashville cuz I don't think any of the 4 of us have been there. Looks like lots to do. (But we are in our mid 60's so late nite stuff not good). Looked at weather and that worried me. So now I'm looking at Charleston. Or even Savanah, or whatever you fine folks can recommend. We love gardens, good restaurants, Friends into boats, bike trails, concerts, theater, just about a little of everything. SUGESTIONS PLEASE???

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in the South East: Charleston, Nashville, or ???

Charleston is a good choice for you but I can't promise for sure the weather will be fabulous - it could be like today, 75 and sunny, or like last week, 35 high, or anything in between. It might be better to read the 10-day forecasts and make your final decision then. (they're usually OK on accuracy, within 5-10 degrees 10 days out). Savannah is a bit easier to get to for the Ft. Myers folks. Your list of "likes" describes Charleston to a "t", so it would be a good choice. Here's a short list, but check the other TripAdvisor posts because many people are asking questions similar to yours. Using your list, here's what I'd recommend...

1. Gardens - Middleton Place Plantation - www.middletonplace.org/

2. Restaurants - too many fine restaurants to list, but try...http://americascuisine.com/charleston/charleston_restaurants.htm or any of the hundred or so websites listing area restaurants.

3. Boating...fishing charters and boat rental info...http://www.isle-of-palms.sc.us/Community/IOPMarina_FishingCharters.aspx

4. Bike and hike trails...http://www.trails.com/city-trails.asp?keyword=Awendaw&state=SC

5. Concerts and theater...http://www.charlestonconvention.com/ and http://www.charlestonstage.com/

but there are so many more things! (Plantations, carriage rides, civil war tours, dinner cruises, historic home tours, shell collecting at beaches, visiting a Tea plantation, visiting the Hunley, going to Patriot's Point (air craft carrier), visiting Ft. Sumter, Ft. Moultrie, the Aquarium, etc) This is the tip of the iceberg.

Enjoy it all!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in the South East: Charleston, Nashville, or ???

I would personally choose Charleston over Nashville for a four day getaway. I have spent time in both cities and think that both are fun and offer lots to do. However, in balance I think that Charleston offers a mix of history, cuture and activities that are hard to beat.

As the previous respondant stated the weather in Charleston in Feb. can be unpredictible. Many days at that time of year its in the 70's but it can also be cold and rainy. However, I would suggest that if you wish to avoid the cold, Charleston is a far safer bet than Nashville toward that goal.

As for what you could do to fill a four day visit Charleston offers options to keep you more than busy. The city offers 300 years of history to explore. There are amazing places to eat. And even though in Feb. the ocean will be to cold to swim in, Charleston offers a relaxing stroll on the beach.

Nashville has a more active club and music scene (hence the nickname music city). But you can find some live music at the clubs in Charleston as well if that is a huge thing for you.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in the South East: Charleston, Nashville, or ???

We (60's couple) have children who live in both Nashville and Charleston. In my opinion, for just vacationing, I would rather visit Charleston. I think it is a much easier town to get around it, it has more historic places to visit, and it has many more restaurants to choose from. I am sure you would enjoy both places, however. Wherever you decide, enjoy.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in the South East: Charleston, Nashville, or ???

You could live here for years and never see it all, so four days will still leave you with plenty to see.

Nashville is very different from Charleston. Savannah is similar to Charleston but my preference is Charleston. There is more to see and do here.

The Visitor's Center is a good place to start. They will be able to help you with reservations and will know the events and concerts etc., that will be available during your stay.

The 25th Annual Southeastern Wildlife Exposition will be 2/15/2008 - 2/17/2008.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
352 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in the South East: Charleston, Nashville, or ???

I have been to all places..and Charleston gets my vote as well. Savannah is a pretty town, but Charleston has more to do, and it just seems more romantic to me. If the weather wasnt so bad I'd also recommend the Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge area but there might be snow at that time.

6. Re: 4 days in the South East: Charleston, Nashville, or ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 04:17