We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Charleston to Cherokee

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Driving from Charleston to Cherokee

I posted this request for help on the SC forum, but didn't get much of a response, so fingers crossed this time.

In the summer I will be driving from Charleston to Cherokee, which is 5 hours or so. My 10 year old daughter will probably get fidgety after 30 minutes, so a stop halfway will be essential.

Ideally, I'd like to stop in a place with some interest & charm, so we could eat & then walk around an historic downtown area or along a river.

Union, SC, on Highway 176, was one place that I came across in a brochure, though that requires a small detour, I think.

Any suggestions will be very welcome. Thanks.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
96 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Charleston to Cherokee

Just a suggestion ... Post this question on the North Carolina forum. You may find more people who have driven the route.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Charleston to Cherokee

Greenville has a beautiful park area downtown and that's probably a little more than half way.

I've never been, but isn't Newberry a nice little town? All I know is that their water tower is shaped like an egg, since it's the "Egg Capitol of the World".

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Charleston to Cherokee

About halfway is Columbia. I'd suggest posting on the Columbia forum for ideas for a quick stop. Columbia is a nice city with a growing antique and arts community - I'd imagine there are a few blocks to explore. I'll see if I can find something.

More than halfway is Spartanburg - I know there is a BMW Factory but I'm not sure they're still doing factory tours. If anyone knows, please post here. Thanks.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Charleston to Cherokee

This looks very convenient, right off I26: http://www.riverbanks.org/ is a link to the zoo. Among other animals and exhibits, they've got Koalas and Lorikeets and Wallabys. If you've never seen them, it's probably worth a stop!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Charleston to Cherokee

Many thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll stop at Columbia to have a walk along the river as well as having a look at the galleries, etc.

west Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
350 reviews
6. Re: Driving from Charleston to Cherokee

There is lots to do long the way, but not much 1/2 way. Union is somewhat out of your way. You might like musgrove mill, kinda hard to find, but peaceful, nice river, good picnic areas on/near rocky shoals. Newberry, Clinton, or Laurens are ~half way, all have a square. I like Laurens better for food and curb appeal. I think there is a park just the interstate side of downtown. Cloumbia and Greenville both have Zoos. Riverbanks is on Broad River. Greenville Zoo is near falls park where they have a statue of Shoeless Joe Jackson. Not too historic unless you are a baseball buff. You could also be going close to Cowpens, a significant revolutionary war site, near Spartanburg. If I had to stop it would be Riverbanks, historic or not.

After you get off the interstate in NC, stop for a few minutes before you get on the windy roads to Cherokee with the young one. Ours always got car sick going up to Cherokee. The 13 yr old still does a bit.

Lastly, while in Cherokee check out the local art work in the Museum of the Cherokee Indian. See if you can find your daughter a book with stories of the medicine man, Swimmer (I think I have that name correct, brother in law is Cherokee, but a while since I heard of those adventures).

Have Fun.

PO

7. Re: Driving from Charleston to Cherokee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 19:16