We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions for a short trip to Charleston

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
Need suggestions for a short trip to Charleston

Hi there - I have been to Charelston a few times usually on business so my sight seeing has been limited. My wife and I are entertaining some friends from out of town in two weeks, who have never seen the ocean or been to a beach. We live in Charlotte, NC and are just going to drive over and stay the night one night so they can go walk on a beach and see the water. The question is what do you reccomend to give them a true taste of Charleston? A place to eat, a beach to visit, sights to see? We all love history and shopping so keep that in mind. We appreciate any suggestions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,726 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions for a short trip to Charleston

Take a walking tour of downtown Charleston and go to Market Street and Visitor Center. You could also tour one of the plantations-Middleton or Magnolia. There are several restaurants in the Market Street area- check TA reviews for restaurants. You can drive out to Folly Beach and walk on the beach. There are many areas for public parking.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions for a short trip to Charleston

Folly Beach would be fun. Folly is an old-fashion beach town, which is very popular with the locals for daytrips. There is a Charleston County Park at one end of Folly Beach. The beach and views there are more "natural" than in the area near the pier. Your friends would enjoy seeing both aspects of the beach.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestions for a short trip to Charleston

Take a cariage ride and walk along the Battery. You may just want to stroll along some of the streets south of Broad or take in a house museum downtown such as Nathaniel Russell House or Edmonston Alston House.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
354 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestions for a short trip to Charleston

Id book a combo deal where u can see the harbour (with the Ft Sumter tour) and also get a carriage ride tour, tour a plantation perhaps, walk around downtown on Sat. and see the farmers market & flea market..ya know I dont know if one day will be enough there is so much to do! lol

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestions for a short trip to Charleston

If you only had one day, I'm assuming you'll get here around lunchtime on one day and leave around 3-ish the next day?

When you get to town (watch the weather forecast to maximize on sunshine and warmth if you have flexibility in which day of the 2 weeks you'll drive down) I'd take a carriage ride and then head out for lunch - perhaps at Cru, SNOB, Virginia's on King or Poogan's. Then go for a stroll in the area south of Broad.

Then, hop in the car and head out to Sullivan's Island for a beach walk, hop over to Mt. Pleasant for a cocktail and sunset view in the Shem Creek area - and come back to the city for dinner at 82 Queen (my new favorite) or Hank's or one of the other popular restaurants you've seen mentioned here. (or you could save the beach walk til the next morning since you'll have done a lot of walking already that day) Enjoy!

6. Re: Need suggestions for a short trip to Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 18:20