We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mills House - safe area at night

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mills House - safe area at night

Thank you all for your advice. We are in SC for 3 nights. The first night will be in Charleston and the next two nights in Myrtle Beach where my daughter lives. I've been lurking on the MB forumm for the past couple of weeks and haven't found any hotel there that people rave about like the Mills House in Charleston. With that in mind, I'm now leaning toward the Mills House for it's charm. If it's only slightly less convenient and centrally located than the Doubletree, we can definitely handle that. But we plan to be out late at night -assuming we can find a casual lively restaurant/bar on a Monday night. We'll stick together, and we wouldn't wander off the beaten path at night. So, now I'm wondering if there's any ngihtlife near the Mills House, and if not, would it be safe for 3 women walking back to the Mills House late at night, or would taking a taxi be an option. Thanks again for your advice. I promise to stop asking questions after this.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mills House - safe area at night

Pretty much that entire area of downtown is very safe. Trust me, our city government is keenly aware of the 'hands that feed us' mentality, and the police presence, while not highly visible, is there.

The Mills is not far from the good nightlife, and I wouldn't worry at all about your safety.

Y'all have fun!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mills House - safe area at night

relax, it's all good at the mills house

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mills House - safe area at night

Save this posting and look at it after your trip - you'll probably giggle. Charleston is a really "different" city and if anything you will feel safer here than any tourist destination you've visited - just use common sense.

I LOVE the Mills House. Do try to take the historic tour that leaves from the lobby in the morning. Poogan's Porch, which no doubt you've read about, is right across the street as is 82 Queen (which would be my choice for dinner). Don't forget a carriage ride and we'll see you back here next time because we know you'll get just enough of a taste for the city that you'll want more! ENJOY!

4. Re: Mills House - safe area at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 07:16