We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Needed?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Needed?

My boyfriend and I thinking about taking a 5 day trip to Charleston. We have never been there before and are not familiar with the city transportation system. We would be flying and possibly staying at the Holiday Inn in Mt. Pleasant. We would like to avoid the added cost of a rental car if possible. Is getting around the Charleston area without a car doable? Is there any public transportation that could be helpful? Any suggestions would great!

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
125 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Needed?

My boyfriend and I are also going to Charleston a week from today to visit some friends who live on James Island (on the south side of Charleston). They said a rental car is needed if you want to go to the different beaches and to the downtown area. I guess there are no metra trains and that the buses don't go to many of the areas outside of downtown Charleston. If you are staying downtown Charleston, though, I guess the bus system is supposed to be okay there.

Needless to say, we're going to rent a car. I will say though that they are not as expensive as I would have thought (only about $150 for a mid-size car for a whole week). And if you're flying United they are currently offering specials on Hertz rental cars that will cost you even less.

Hope this helps. Have fun on your trip!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Needed?

Good reply, Nicole.

Yeah, the mass transit here is a bit of an issue.

If I were you, I'd definitely rent a car. Mt P is not far from the great sights of Charleston - unless you're walking! ;-)

Everything downtown is pretty much near each other so you could park and walk. But other sights, such as the Gardens, the beaches, the ballparks - they're too far to walk.

I hope you have a great time.