We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals at the train station?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Car rentals at the train station?

Help! We are headed down to Charleston via train on the 16th and I can't find information as to whether there are car rental facilities at the train station there. We have to drive from there to Seabrook Island for a wedding.

On another note, we would love to stop in town for dinner before driving to Seabrook. Any recommendations for a delicious and charming place to have dinner (entrees in the 20-35 dollar range or less)? Thanks!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals at the train station?

The train station in Charleston is tiny ... more like a suburban commuter depot than a main line station. It consists of a landing, a tickt window, a waiting room, and restrooms. There are no car rental facilities at the terminal, and the nearby area is pretty much barren. My advice is to rent from a company that will pick you up. Enterprise does this, I think, and they have several locations in North Charleston, relabively close to the train station.

Charleston is considered by many to be the "food capital of the south", and there are many wonderful restaurants. What sort of food would you enjoy eating?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals at the train station?

The trains here are often late arriving. Enterprise is a good suggestion and will deliver the car but you might see if you can call them on your cell phone just before arriving in Charleston.

Another idea would be to take a taxi to the airport (not too far) to all the rental agencies.

What time are you scheduled to arrive?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals at the train station?

I think we are scheduled to arrive at around 7 PM, so would be looking to get the car and then head into downtown Charleston for a nice dinner.

As for food options, I think something typical of the area would be lovely, but my boyfriend and I are adventurous eaters.

Thanks for the Enterprise suggestion - I totally forgot that they have the pickup service.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals at the train station?

There are so many great restaurants!

For old Charleston atmosphere, you might like 82 Queen. For outstanding local seafood, try Hank's Seafood. For southern "home cooking", consider Virginia's on King.

The list goes on and on, so I am sure others will suggest their favorites.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rentals at the train station?

My son took the train to and from DC last year, and trust me - the train is always late. I hope for your sake it isn't, but it will be.

Definitely plan ahead on getting your rental, especially if you want to get downtown for dinner.

6. Re: Car rentals at the train station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 22:18