We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help with choosing itinerary

Las Vegas, Nevada
14 posts
Save Topic
need help with choosing itinerary

Hi. My husband and I are visiting Mrytle Beach and Charleston in late June/early July. We need to decide whether to head to the Outer Banks or to go inland to Biltmore Estate. We will have our 8 and 6 year old boys.I appreciate any recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help with choosing itinerary

Hmm . My first thought is to stay convenient enough to the beach, since most 6/8 year olds could probably stay on the beach and in the water here until their skin is crispy (the water temps make you never want to leave and the beach communities and nearby amenities are charming and carefree).

My second thought is that if you are in MB and do the beach/amusement park thing there that going inland to the mountains (where Biltmore is) might be a nice change. But that thought is quickly followed by...is that something that would sustain the interest of 6/8 year olds? You would know. The Biltmore is an all-day kind of tour of an old home with big spaces; a great place to visit for most adults.

If it's old homes with great architecture you're after, I think I'd stick with the beaches around Charleston where you can do architecture and history in the morning and beaches for lunch and afternoon. (It's really so easy to get to the beaches from the city you'll be amazed. I've lived in Santa Monica before - we have about 1/1000th the amount of traffic - though if you talk to locals you'll think we've got the 405 out here!)

July 4th is a great time to be in Charleston as there is a wonderful fireworks show off of the Aircraft Carrier (also open for tours) in the Charleston Harbor.

One last thought - there is a lot of nature out here - crabbing, fishing, boating, surfing, kitesurfing - you can do it all if you stay coastal. Sure it will be hot, but that's why our water temps will be 84-ish when you're here (and there's always a breeze). If you're into running, jogging or just a good walk, I can't think of a better place than the Ravenel Bridge.

My nephews loved visiting the Hunley - the Civil War submarine that was found offshore under water and silt a few years back and is now in a laboratory which is open to the public. It is being carefully analyzed and is only open to the public on weekends when the preservation team isn't working. My nephews loved visiting the local forts and seeing the lighthouses, too. One was writing an essay about the Civil War and was able to include photos "where it started", at Ft. Sumter in the Charleston Harbor. We never had a chance to take the "Ghosts" tour with them or the "Pirates" tour, but I'm sure it'll be on our next itinerary.

So...give a click on "Things to Do" and see if it suits.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Charleston Harbor Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours
2,760 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Fort Sumter Tours
Fort Sumter Tours
242 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help with choosing itinerary

You don't say what kind of a time frame you are talking about going to Asheville. While I am not sure how much kids would really enjoy Biltmore, especially considering that it is very expensive to visit (I am not sure about kids, but adult admissions are about $50 per person). But there are other things that kids might enjoy if you drove towards the mountains, like the Cherokee Indian reservation, the Smoky Mountain NP or maybe a part of the Blueridge Parkway. I think it would make a well rounded vacation, with a beach, a historical city and a really beautiful natural area, but I guess it is just according to what you would prefer and how much time you want to spend on the road.

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Cherokee Indian Reservation
Cherokee Indian...
349 Reviews
Cherokee, NC
Las Vegas, Nevada
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need help with choosing itinerary

Thanks for the insight. Good ideas to consider. We have about 10 days to discover and enjoy. The info about the submarine, etc. may sway our decision. It sound as if my hubby and I would absolutely ejoy the Biltmore. The boys - maybe not. They love history and anything about the Revolution and the Civil War.

NY
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help with choosing itinerary

Not sure how much of a drive it is from Charleston (would have to check that out), but if it's not too far, you might want to consider Williamsburg, Va. I hear the daily shows in Revolutionary City (a part of the area blocked off) are great. You also have Jamestown there. If the area is too far to go to, what about Roanoke Island in the outer banks. Plenty of history there. There is also plenty of civil war history I'm sure throughout Virginia.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help with choosing itinerary

The Outer Banks - IMHO - is a beautiful place but is unfortunately so difficult to get to that you would need to do a separate trip if MB and Charleston are on your itinerary and you have only 10 days.

Next time you're coming out east - you could fly into Baltimore/Washington, visit DC (better if the boys are a little older) and take Mittmott's advice - do some Virginia sightseeing and head out to the Outer Banks. (maybe fly out of Charlotte) That would be a nice 10-day trip as well.

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Charleston
Charleston
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Bloomington...
Level Contributor
316 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help with choosing itinerary

Just had to put my two cents in because we've been to almost all the spots you're interested in. I love OBX, my husband and I spent our honeymoon there, but it is a little more difficult to get to and I would only go that route if that was my primary destination. Great family vacation spot!

Last summer's vacation was DC, our younger boys were 8 & 10, and they continue to talk about it as "their favorite vacation ever". We ran them ragged and packed in so many activities and they enjoyed almost every minute of it! We were concerned that our 8 year old would be too young but he loved it. It really depends on the kid. We also visited Williamsburg and were disappointed. Maybe because we were worn out from DC, but we found it to be very expensive...so we didn't purchase actual tickets but walked around quite a bit. We did visit Monticello on the way home and it was amazing! The kids liked it even more than Mt. Vernon.

We leave for beautiful Charleston (and Folly Beach) this Thursday and this will be our third trip to Charleston in 12 years. We love the mix of beach and city and plan to visit Ft. Sumter (our 18 year old loved it when he was 6 and can't wait to return), take a trolley tour and attend a Riverdogs game and of course, hang at the beach.

My husband and I often talk about visiting Ashville and the Biltmore, we have relatives nearby, but we'll leave the kids at home for that trip. The adult tickets are indeed near $50 each and even though our kids like to travel, I think a day long home tour would be pushing their limits! LOL! Didn't intend for this post to be so long but hope my little bit of insight helps!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Asheville
Asheville
NC
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: need help with choosing itinerary

If the boys love history they would enjoy Biltmore.You can tour it easy in 4 hours, Also, kids are FREE.MB is so crowded. The NC beaches are more family friendly. It's about 7 hours coast to coast.

2 more suggestion,Old Salem in Winston Salem & Tweetsie Railroad Blowing Rock NC

Have a good trip!

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Winston Salem
Winston Salem
North Carolina
Tweetsie Railroad
Tweetsie Railroad
891 Reviews
Blowing Rock, NC
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
8. Re: need help with choosing itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 18:22