We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report May6-10 Fabulous Charleston!!! (Long)

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report May6-10 Fabulous Charleston!!! (Long)

Greetings and Happy 4th of July from BJ Lady in OKC!

Special Thanks to CultureHound and all the other wonderful people from Charleston who made this trip so very special. Some details are for fellow travelers to hopefully help with their plans.

We arrived in Savannah (which has a lovely walkable airport) around noon and surprise, surprise the airlines had lost my suitcase! They assured me it would be on the next flight so we went over to rent our car and find a restaurant nearby. We went to a new Cheddar's close by (yes, it is a chain restaurant but the food was quite good after a long flight and easy to get back to the airport. Two hours later back to the airport and my suitcase had arrived!!!

Off to Charleston via Hwy 17 and our first glimpse at THE suspension bridge. I was in awe of this magnificent work of art. I should tell you at this point that my husband is a bridge builder and has built some pretty neat bridges, but nothing to compare! I took pictures all the way across.

We stayed in Mt. Pleasant at the Quality Inn and Suites at the foot of the bridge. We had never stayed at at Quality Inn but the reviews on TA were so good (and in our price range). We stayed in a 2 queen suite with micro/frig wet bar. The hotel is lovely with a good breakfast and very friendly, helpful staff. The location on Patriot's Point was great (only 2 1/2 miles across bridge) and you are in Charleston!

This had been a really long day (up at 3:00 a.m. Actually didn't sleep the night before, soooo excited.)

Got directions to Red's Ice House on Shem Creek (about 2 miles away) and I have to say we loved it. The food and margaritas were good. We sat outside by the creek and watched a dolphin play! Doesn't get much better than that for an animal lover and oh yes I petted several dogs at the restaurant. They are allowed and quite well behaved as were the patrons!

Next morning we took a tour from the visitor's center. Parking garage next door and easy access. The tour guide was very informative and it gave us a great overview of the city.

After our tour we headed back to The Battery and toured the Calhoun Mansion. It is a fabulous house and the gardens are lovely. Then we just walked and walked to take in this wonderful place.

We loved the City Market area. River Street Sweets is to die for. Never had warm pralines before and I ate my share of samples (bought some too) and we also really enjoyed Kaminsky's. Had a nice drink there in the afternoon and coffee later that night and of course took pecan pie back to room.

We bought several charms at city market at Gold Creations and at Charleston Charms. Charm bracelets make a great souviner (sp) and we add some to our bracelets each trip we take. Lightweight, wearable and we will have them forever.

Next day off to the Isle of Palms to see the ocean and check out Hungry Neck Antiques. Ate a Gullah Cuisine, it was quite good friendly place. We loved Hungry Neck and spent two hours there. Found some neat things there (silverplated teaspoons that match my sterling pretty well and a great coffeetable book about the low country for $2.00)

Our last day (so sorry to leave, Charleston has won my heart!) Went to King Street and the waterfront park. Ate at Tommy Condons (sorry, not recommended, I thought an Irish Pub could cook corned beef and cabbage but I think this Irish Lady needs to go to work there. Perhaps I ordered the wrong thing) Ate at RB's on Shem Creek but alas my dolphin didn't show up this time.

Left Saturday around noon headed for Savannah and left pennies at several locations to insure a trip back to this wonderful city with its grand architecture, beautiful gardens, great food and I've saved the best for last - the people! Friendly, eager to share their knowledge and pride in their home. You made us feel welcome and shared your hearts. That's what makes a great trip and we thank you.

BJ Lady

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report May6-10 Fabulous Charleston!!! (Long)

I think I'm speaking for everyone that it is "our pleasure" - really - to help visitors enjoy some of our favorite reasons for loving this area.

So glad you had a great time - and thanks for the great report! Come back any time - there is so much more...!!!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report May6-10 Fabulous Charleston!!! (Long)

I echo CultureHounds words. We all love our city and enjoy sharing her with the world!

Sorry about Tommy Condon's. Unfortunately, this seems to be the results from this restaurant lately. I hope they have someone there who reads this forum that will realize that some changes need to be made.

We look forward to your return, which hopefully won't be too long in the future.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report May6-10 Fabulous Charleston!!! (Long)

CultureHound and Floski:

Thanks so much for your replies! I've started saving again for a return visit. There was so much we didn't get to see and I would love to spend a week or more next time!

I'm posting a trip report on Savannah today. It was beautiful also but Charleston is in my heart to stay.

Best Regards,

BJLady

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report May6-10 Fabulous Charleston!!! (Long)

As a part time resident of Seabrook Island and visitor to Savanah, I have to agree with the Charleston area wins.

Glad you enjoyed the visit and come back soon.

Chhers

5. Re: Trip Report May6-10 Fabulous Charleston!!! (Long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:18