We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels near FLETC?

Ft. Luaderdale
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
hotels near FLETC?

My husband will be attending a training class at FLETC, and my children ( 2 boys, almost 4 and 5 months) want to drive down to spend a long weekend with him. Can anyone tell me of some hotels near the training facility?

Thanks!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels near FLETC?

I'm assuming you were on the website and saw the housing info...http://www.fletc.gov/student-information/student-information-bulletin/charleston/assigned-housing/

I didn't know anything about the facility until I looked it up, but you'll be at the Charleston Naval Base (not the "garden spot" to say the least). In fact, I wouldn't recommend for any tourists to consider any lodging anywhere in this area. Since your husband is in law enforcement, he'll be ok, but you need a different place to stay while he's at work.

I'd suggest either Mt. Pleasant or the Convention Center area. Mt. P might be a bit more expensive, but you'll be close to the beach and to various sites to see, and Mt. P is a very family-friendly, safe community. The Convention Center area is nice and is near the outlet mall but it's not as family-friendly and you'll be driving far to do anything.

You didn't mention when you were coming - you might be able to get a good deal on an oceanfront hotel (look up "Isle of Palms"). We don't have highrises on the ocean as you all do in Ft. L so the pickings will be slim but after school starts things slow down so you might be lucky in finding something. I'd normally recommend a place called the Shem Creek Inn but your kids are probably too young (it is on the Creek). www.shemcreekinn.com If you like what you see, you can ask if they have childproof locks on the doors.

Welcome to Charleston - you'll have a nice time I'm sure!

charleston, sc
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels near FLETC?

You really don't want to stay anywhere near FLETC; it's not in the best part of town. Stay somewhere downtown or really close. There are a lot of things to do downtown and it is beautiful. There are carriage rides that I am sure the kids will love. You could go down to Waterfront Park and let them play in the fountain. There are also boat rides out to Fort Sumter. Just go down to the historic district, pick up one of the guides that are in most restaurants and roam around.

I am guessing that you probably get enough beach time at home. But if not, we have 3 beaches, all on barrier islands. If you are after the authentic beach town kind of place, then go to Folly. It is very laid back and has a kind of surfer vibe to it. Sullivan's and Isle of Palms are nice too. They have more of a suburban community type feel. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Hope you enjoy Charleston!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels near FLETC?

I agree that the area out by FLETC is not where you really want to stay. I know some of the people that work out there and they may have recommendations and special rates available.

If you have the option, I would stay downtown if at all possible. That is where you get the true feeling of Charleston rather than just another town or 'burb. Hubby will be traveling against the traffic going and coming. You may qualify for a government rate. The Mills House has a good government rate and some of the other hotels may, too. Just strolling around downtown can be fun and the beaches are not too far. Downtown has so much to do.

If he HAS to be closer, I would go with some of the hotels out by Tanger Outlets and the Convention Center.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels near FLETC?

I used to work on the old Navy Base and still work nearby, and agree whtat you should stay downtown (provided you can afford it). It's as close as anywhere else, including the newer and more affordable hotels near the Tanger Outlet.

A friend of mine stays at the Days Inn downtown when he comes down on business. It's as inexpensive as any in town, very well located, and a very simple drive to the base.

5. Re: hotels near FLETC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 13:19