We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

Sarasota
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Topic
Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

Hi.

My wife and I are going to Charleston for 3 days in June as we return home from a circular trip from Florida, Asheville, N.C., Washington, D.C, CHARLESTON, and then back home to Florida.

I am using this forum to select a nice B&B in the historic district, and this is where I would most like to spend the remaonder of my money.

Upon reading the forum, eating out sounds like it is going to be very expensive.

Are there any places in Charleston where two people can get away with $30 not including tip or drinks?

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.

Steve

Denver
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

I like Jestine's Kitchen. Not fancy - the "table wine" is sweet tea - but tasty and affordable.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

When travelling, to help keep our budget on track, we often opt for lunch at nice restaurants opposed to an expensive dinner. The menu items are just as nice and just as filling, but at a much lower cost.

For dinner, we opt for early dining menus--usually a great deal! However, I don't think Charleston has embraced the early dining menu option. If anyone knows of any great prix fixe menus, let me know!

High Cotton on Bay Street has a great Saturday lunch menu and Sunday brunch menu with several tasty dishes for $10 and under (www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com)

Juanita Greenberg's on King Street is Mexican food and very reasonably priced, as well as a fun casual atmosphere(www.juanitagreenbergs.com).

Magnolia's on Bay Street is one of our consistent favorites, and if we do have dinner here, we enjoy the generous "uptown" appetizers (housemade pimento cheese and flatbread, the fried green tomato, and downsouth egg roll are great), a cup of soup and a salad (www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com).

Virginia's on King is a neat place to have an appetizer, soup or salad, and great side dishes (www.virginiasonking.com).

There are many ways to enjoy great food and ambience on a budget. Charleston has so many options. Enjoy!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

Juanita Greenburg's is right up your alley.

There's also a Moe's on King St, but I don't think you're going to find many spots where you can both eat for <$30.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

In the city: consider Southend Brewery, or for a really great deal...go to Social during their Happy Hour where a nice selection of appetizers are all $3 as are one red, one white, and one bubbly wine. What more could you ask? Many a time hubby and I have made meals of a few shared app's and some wines.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
266 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

It sounds like you will have a car, so head across the bridge to Mt. Pleasant and eat at the Boulevard Diner or keep driving on over to Sullivan's Island and have an incredible burger at Poe's Tavern. Both places have good food and very reasonable prices. You can easily eat for $30 before tip and drinks at either one.

Sarasota
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

Folks,

You are a life saver!!

I can not thank you enough for those suggestions. It is a great comfort to know I will not have to walk about aimlessly reading menus and prices.

Thanks a million!!!

Steve

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

Jestines and Boulivard Diner will be must-do! Also, Sticky Fingers (Meeting St.), Jim & Nicks (King St.), The Griffon (Vendue Range), Fast & French aka Gaulart & Maliclet (Broad St.). SNOB has an Express Lunch Special everyday for about $10. It is always good. If you really like salads that are HUGE and good, go to California Dreaming. Most hotels have a booklet with restaurants listed in their lobbies. It usually has a coupon for a free order of honey croissants from Calif. Dreaming, too! Ye Olde Fashioned Ice Cream also has sandwiches. Their BLT is unbelievable!!!

Remember that Spoleto is most of June and it is a very popular month for tourists.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

We are frequently in Charleston for a day of doing errands. For a delicious, EXTREMELY budget-friendly lunch, we uaually go to Joseph's. -

http://www.josephsofcharleston.com/

The food is so good at Joseph's that we frequently take visitors there even when speed and economy are not our primarly objects.

Joseph's is open only for breakfast and lunch, and they do not serve alchoholic beverages. (Try the sweet tea!) Teh atmosphere is casual and "local".

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

Ditto, KYBetsy! Those are great places and Mt Pleasant has lots of choices without expensive prices.

10. Re: Some NOT so nice and Pricey places to EAT, please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 20:22