We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been before

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Never been before

I have never been to Charleston before and I am excited that I will be visitng this summer. Please tell me the must-sees for you. We will be there for 3 full days. Any recommendations on restaurants, hotels ( Bed and Breakfasts?) with a good location, and of course the must-see sights. I know you don't know our likes and dislikes, etc., but I would love to hear everyone's opinion. Thanks so much!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been before

Need more specifics...

When will you be in Charleston,

What sort of $$$ do you want to spend (don't use the word "reasonable", tell us specifics),

What do you like to eat?

We really need to know more about what you like to be able to help you do what YOU want to do. YOU may enjoy museums, I enjoy the outdoors and active pursuits, no point in my telling you all about kayaking and the like when you really want to hear about the museums.

Help us and we will be happy to help YOU!

This is YOUR trip!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been before

Also, here's a website to get you thinking...

www.charlestoncvb.com

Enjoy!

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been before

I was there last year and if you want to splurge go to Tristan's. Oh my goodness it was the best meal of my life and I've been many places and across the pond.BUT it's expensive but to me so worth it. Our son is a chef at a highend club and had a wonderful dining experience. Shrimp and grits at a restaurant who's name I cannot remember was awesome. The beaches are also marvelous. I decided to go in May this year so it's not so warm. The carriage rides are a great look into the history of Charleston. Get the Entertainment book and they are 2 for 1. We used both coupons and went twice, are so interesting and fun. Also another deal is from restaurant.com. We used it at Tristan's and 2 other places, good deals. Hope this helps a little. You see I'm hooked on Charleston.........

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been before

Ok. My husband is the kayaking king. He loves it.I like it somewhat. Get the picture. I, from NY ( city girl), married a true Floridian, lovingingly and absolutely happily, BUT , yes I have to confess, am a must-see tourist in the truest sense of the word. He owns a kayak, but we both love the culture, and more importantly the local culture of a place. He loves to have a beer with the local people. I am certainly a mixture. So now, I have confused you all. We are a cohesive unit, who collectively would love to learn all about the place we are visiting , as well as enjoy our visit with the people who live there. Thank-you again!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been before

Okay, w/only 3 days, I'd suggest hitting the Historic District with a carriage ride, possibly take the boat out to Ft. Sumter or tour a house or two. Just wandering around the HD and looking through the gates into the gardens is great. There are lots of shops and galleries to visit and walking down to the Battery is a must do.

If you have a car, maybe plan a morning visit to a plantation; Middleton is the first choice for most posters here. Head back into town or out toward to Johns/Wadmawlaw Islands to see the Angel Oak...

http://www.angeloaktree.org/

(largest oak in US), the tea plantation (only one in the US)...

http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/

and the winery...

http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/

You could end the day w/a dolphin tour from Cherry Point...

http://www.bohicketboat.com/

All these places will give you a wide variety of different lifestyles from days gone by (and what's going on still today), lots of beautiful scenery, as well.

Finally, how about a low country kayak trip in the marshes???

www.kayakcharleston.net

Ralph caters to small groups and is a wonderful trip guide, he takes you through the marshes past old rice plantations, black water and possibly a gator or two. If you call Ralph, tell him Beth sent you.

You might think about staying in the Mt. Pleasant or Folly Beach areas, you'll run into more locals in those areas. Mt. Pleasant along Shem Creek would be good, there are several nice motels there.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been before

I think you'd both find Shem Creek to suit your needs - kayaking and having beer with the locals. (for that, you HAVE TO go to "Red's Ice House". I really don't want to hear that you didn't go there, based on what you said! :)

In town, (though I haven't been) I have heard great things about Charleston Beer Works. So many great places...so little time.

If staying in the city is a must, of course the prices vary greatly from place to place. One "average" priced hotel that is also elegant and historic is the [Holiday Inn] Mills House. Don't be put off by the Holiday Inn name - would NEVER know.

If you are a little more "earthy" then I'd recommend staying at the Shem Creek Inn. (www.shemcreekinn.com I think) It is on the creek, dolphins jumping, pelicans landing, restaurants and bars all around. You can walk to all of your nightlife and only be 5 minutes from the beach and 7 minutes from the city.

There aren't a lot of places in this area that are like Indialantic (my mom is from Melbourne Beach and I see you're from Rockledge) except perhaps for the Isle of Palms. I'd recommend going out to the beach as it's great for walking and for looking for shells, etc. Enjoy your trip!

7. Re: Never been before

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 08:16