We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

Hi everyone,

My husband & I are entertaining the thought of moving to SC- while my husband has been to this state, I have not (but I like what I see & hear so far)

I was thinking of taking a 4 day trip & renting a car to visit nearby communities...

Just a brief background- we are from NJ and we have a 3 year old with one on they way!!!

(OK, I know... save the NJ jokes, please... why do you think we're moving??!!!) :)

Anway, I am looking for a community that is quiet, yet close to shopping, good schools & a pool we can join...

Any help/suggestions would be great!

Thanks everyone!

M

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

Are you looking to buy a house or rent? What price range?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

Please make sure you have employment lined up prior to making your move, there are lots of folks in SC without jobs these days.

Also, life in the south is not comparable to life in the north and not only in the weather, so be prepared for a much different pace.

What type of price range are you looking for?

You may get bumped out of the system soon, they frown on moving questions here.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
572 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

One thing to keep in mind with the children is the difference in schooling, a lot of the people I know in the Charleston area send the kids to private schools. Having said that my niece lives in Daniel Island which has good schools and a large number of playgrounds and pools available. There is some shopping on Daniel Island and you are not that far from the Mt. Pleasant shopping areas either. You are also close enough to take advantage of a lot in downtown Charleston as we. I also have family in the West Ashley area and out on Kiawah which all have their benefits depending on what you are looking for. With kids in tow, I think I might look more in the Daniel Island or Mt. Pleasant areas as being more convenient. Depending on what part of Jersey you are from the shopping will be much different than you are used to. Not everything is as close as it is in say North Jersey.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Daniel Island
Daniel Island
63 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Ashley Inn
Ashley Inn
334 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

You do need to research on South Carolina's public school system, and the particular area you are interested in.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

Thank you everyone-

I know- I've heard aboutt the pace. I've lived in NJ my whole life & attended College in Boston.... I am sure it is different. I appreciate everyone's input, I really do. And I appreciate your honesty.

Yes, one of my major concerns is school, thank you for your input on that as well. Right now, my husband is a carpenter and has his own business & I am in Pharma.

We are looking for 300-400K to spend- I would rather a more settled neighborhood & I don't mind older homes...I think they are less "cookie cutter"

I see that this is more of a travel forum...

But one think- do you think we can stay in downtown Charleston & drive everyday to these neighborhoods?

Thanks AGAIN!

M

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Charleston
Charleston
New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

SummitWalker- I live right down the street from you in Springfield ... small world, Huh?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

You can stay downtown and drive to the neighborhoods.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
572 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

Very small world, my niece that lives in Daniel Island was born when her parents lived in Springfield (now has an eight year old, a six year old and will have the third any day now). I have had family down in the Charleston area for a little over 20 years and go down several times a year myself. Even own a condo right in the historic district. You can certainly stay in the downtown area and drive out to Daniel Island, Mt. Pleasant and other areas with out too much trouble. Or check out the beach areas and do the same.

Mentioned in this post
Daniel Island
Daniel Island
63 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

Summitwalker.... I obviously don't have to tell you about the pace here in Union County!!!! :)

Anyway, thanks everyone.. I will look for hotels...

Have a wonderful week,

M

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about visiting Charleston and neighborhoods

Homes in the Charleston area can be quite expensive, especially in the areas with better schools. You may want to Google "Charleston, SC realestate" and look at some of the listings in different areas.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston