We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking tour -- having trouble getting a response from guide

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Walking tour -- having trouble getting a response from guide

So, I originally booked a tour with Ed Grimball on the last morning of our trip. After reading a lot, I realized that I don't want to go on a tour only to find a ton of things I missed! :)

I called Mr. Grimball back and asked if he would consider a private tour the afternoon we arrive since he didn't have a group tour planned. He asked me to email and a promptly sent an email with details.

This was last Thursday, April 30th. I emailed again yesterday (a nice reminder) but still haven't heard anything. I'm not sure if I am being obnoxious (I like to plan a little too much!) or if I should consider another tour.

We will arrive Tuesday, May 19th and leave Thursday the 21st. A short trip, but it's a quick getaway from a family trip to celebrate our anniversary. That's part of my concern -- time will be tight.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I not worry if this is not scheduled until late next week?

2) Are there any other tour guides who would do a similar walking tour who might also consider a private tour since our time is rather tight?

3) And, on another note, what time does the sun set out there? We are booked for a Spiritline dinner cruise our first night (the chef does vegetarian for me -- yay!). The boat leaves at 7. Will it already be dark or will we see the sunset during our cruise?

THANKS!!!!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking tour -- having trouble getting a response from guide

First, sunset is around 7:45 give or take. Perfect timing for the cruise.

There are other walking tours - I'm not sure why you would need a private tour? One of my favorites is a tour from the Mills House with Jack Thomson. If that time doesn't work for you, it doesn't hurt to ask him if he does private tours.

And you should be able to get vegetarian dishes at any restaurant including barbecue (they often have great veggies!) so I wouldn't worry.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking tour -- having trouble getting a response from guide

No problem with the sunset cruise. Sun sets at 8:15 pm while you are in Charleston.

Ed Grimball has a wonderful reputation. Maybe try another phone call?

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking tour -- having trouble getting a response from guide

Thanks so much. We were just considering a private tour because we have such a short time and would like to do it on arrival.

I will give Mr. Grimball another day (I've heard nothing but good about him, too) and then call. If I can't make it work, I will try Mr. Johnson.

Glad to hear the timing is good for the dinner cruise!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking tour -- having trouble getting a response from guide

Got my response from Mr. Grimball. We're all set. Thanks, guys. I'll be posting another topic with just a few more questions!

5. Re: Walking tour -- having trouble getting a response from guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 05:21