We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fort sumter or harbor cruise

south carolina
Level Contributor
172 posts
19 reviews
fort sumter or harbor cruise

I've searched this but still did not receive a clear concenus of which is most recommended. I wouldn't mind going to visit the Fort but I don't know how interested the kids would be in the Fort. I would also like to do the Harbor Tour but I've read that the tour is a great distance from the points being discussed in the narration. While I understand that the tour does not make a stop,I assumed it came close to the points of interest depicted on it's agenda. Let me also point out that the Harbor Tour will be the one in conjuction with the Boone Hall Plantation special...if that makes a difference. Oh, and I've already read the less than enthusiastic reviews of Boone Plantation. It's the least expensive plantation, and it's convenient for where we will be centered. Most importantly, we've never been so regardless I have to experience it for myself.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: fort sumter or harbor cruise

I think the kids would like the Ft. Sumter tour more. I have heard people say that their kids loved it.

Regarding Boone Hall - I think it is perfectly nice, it just doesn't offer as extensive of an experience as some of the other more interactive plantations. Magnolia often gets rave reviews, but I was less than impressed with it. So alot of it is simply personal preference.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: fort sumter or harbor cruise

Don't know what age your kids are but my 9 and 11 year old liked the Fort Sumter tour. If I recalll correctly there were park staff on the boat that pointed out areas of interest on the way out and back. Great views of the waterfront, the Fort, Patriots Point, etc. The time at the Fort was just about right. We were there in August and it was pretty hot.

BTW-

Don't forget Fort Moultrie, other than the boat ride, we actually liked it better than Fort Sumter.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: fort sumter or harbor cruise

I agree about Ft. Moultrie - my nephews loved it. Don't forget about visiting the Hunley if you can!

south carolina
Level Contributor
172 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: fort sumter or harbor cruise

You guys are great. Thanks for the input. I was leaning more toward Fort Sumter as well.... I guess that settles it.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: fort sumter or harbor cruise

Another vote for Ft. Sumter. My younger daughter actually took me:-) She was 11 at the time and had just studied about the Civil War in school. We had a good time.

6. Re: fort sumter or harbor cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2009, 06:39