We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
745 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

We will be going to Charleston on July 18-22 and my husband who is a big eater of seafood wants to find a good seafood restruant.We will be staying at Residence Inn Riverview and are willing to drive 30 miles to find the best seafood.There will be 2 adults and 2 children eating and any price under 200.00 for the meal is fine.Can you tell us where to look? We tried the Wreck at Charleen in Mount Pleasant and did not like the place at all.Cheep paper plates limited food and expensive.We do not mind spending the money on good food but that place just did not cut it for our taste.

Residents please help us find a good place that is kid friendly, great seafood and good size portions.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

You might try Seewee up 17 toward Georgetown - near Awendaw. You do not go there for the atmosphere...

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

The best seafood restaurant in Charleston is Hank's Seafood on Hayne Street, near the market. They open for dinner (only) at 5:30. Reserve an early table to avoid the wait.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

I agree with both previous posts - Hank's for upscale, Seewee for very casual.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

This may be silly of me to suggest, seeins how I've never been there, but I have heard a lot of good things about Bowen's Island. I would imagine you can get bigger portions there.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
745 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

Floski,

Thank you for finding this place it looks very interesting! We will check it out on our trip to be sure.We love to explore small places that locals go when visting new towns.It like treasure hunting and the kids get a big kick out of it and get to see and meet all kinds of people and have new experances this way.

Here is the web site for the place if anyone alce is interested.

http://www.bowensislandrestaurant.com/

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
745 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

We will also check out Seewee restruant for luch on our excursion up 17 for the day.Hank's sounds a bit more formal and upscale so we will save them for last and dinner only before we leave.

Thank you everyone for all the good advise.We will leave a report upon returning.If any one has any more information on good places please post and we will check them out too.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,496 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

Floski -

Great minds must think alike. I also thought of Bowens Island, but thought maybe it was a little too "out there" to suggest.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

I know. If you don't like the Wreck, you won't like Bowen's. I personally adore them both!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

When I'm in Charleston, I always eat at Gilligan's - several locations in the area - all good! Best wishes.Also- I like Noisy Oyster in N. Charleston. Best wishes.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,496 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Seafood and Larger Portions in or around charlestion?

I dislike the Wreck, but like Bowen's Island, but mostly for oysters in the fall and winter.