We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip Review 5-23/5-24

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
My trip Review 5-23/5-24

It was a short trip for us, but we had fun. We arrived in DTC around 12pm on Saturday...Got there, and it was nice and sunny. Parked at the garage on Queen and had lunch at Jestine's...It was great as usual, & my wife & I both got the fried chicken. For desert I typically get the coconut pie which is to die for, but this time tried my wife got it while I tried the coca-cola cake. It was great! After eating, we spent the next 3 hrs shopping up/down King Street!

We checked in our room at the Renaissance Inn Marriot over the Ashley River Bridge & after staying Downtown, North Charleston & Mt. Pleasant in the past I must say I was very happy with the location. Once pulling out of the hotel, we could literally be downtown in 2-3 minutes! The hotel was great, and being they offered a free shuttle service into downtown was even better! No issues at all with this hotel, and for $90/night through priceline was crazy since it typically runs $219/night. After checking in we had dinner reservations at Crave in Mt. Pleasant, but couldn’t make it in time so I thought we’d try Virginia’s on King.

Of course I heard their fried chicken was great, so yes I got fried chicken for supper! Lol..I had not try it so I could write my review on it. My wife was craving some chicken/dumplins, and hers was awful. My chicken had better flavor than Jestine’s, but you don’t get as much and it costs more. The mac/cheese was no good, basically all the sides I had are much better at Jestine’s without a doubt. When then ordered deserts and after looking at the menu, they seemed like they would be good but they weren’t. I thought I’d try the banana pudding, it was an absolute joke and I sent it back. My wife got pecan pie, and it was thin and tasted OK but was a joke for $6. I wanted to try it because I’ve heard it was good, but I would never go again. I’d much rather wait in line at Jestine’s any day than go back. After we ate, we rode over to Mount Pleasant to catch a late movie and called it a night…

Sunday I had plans to wake up early and head to the beach at IOP, but of course we woke up with it pouring down rain. Slept in, then ate breakfast at the hotel. Around noon we left and went to the outdoor mall/Shoppes at Mt. Pleasant for a few hours, then the TjMax/Marshalls they have…Around 5 it started to clear up and get sunny so we rode to IOP…I dropped my wife off to go in some shops while I grabbed my beach chair and went and sat out on the beach for just over an hour! Lol. I was destined to get my feet in some sand before I left! I was amazed, being after I came out people started rolling out there like crazy! It got crowded quick. I guess everyone had the same idea as me! Haha Well after that we went back to the hotel, got read and had the hotel shuttle take us DTC…We ate dinner at Bocci’s which was to die for. LOVE that place! After dinner we walked around the Market area which seemed to be a lot of people out, and even with it being somewhat late a lot of stores were still open. I then stopped in the Peninsula Grill to grab my piece of coconut cake to go, and was shocked when he said it was $11.00!!! But, bought it anyway and we headed back to the hotel. Got back, tried it out and I must admin, is was AMAZING! I would so buy it again!! I’ve had a lot of coconut cakes, and this one was by far the best!

We didn’t do a whole lot, mainly shop/eat but it was nice to get away for a couple days. Monday morning of course it was nice outside, but we left Charleston around 7:30am and went up to Myrtle for the day. And of course when we got there, it was rainy! Go figure!!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip Review 5-23/5-24

Loved the trip report from a frequent visitor! I agree about the inherent value in Peninsula Grill's wonderful coconut cake! Sadly, I also am not surprised by your disappointment at Virginia's.

Our daughter and son-in-law took us to Virginia's, on my request, for our anniversary dinner last year. I grew up on southern cooking, so I was prepared for a feast and for southern hospitality. I was also really eager for a new "down-home" restaurant to succeed in Charleston.

I was surprised by the space, which is is rather modern and lacking southern charm (IMHO). I also was surprised by inattention to detail in the service. The waiter was very nice; but he was from "somewhere else", so didn't know much about the food from first-hand experience. When asked, he gave the rote descriptions, like you would get in a regular restaurant anywhere, so I tried to describe the dishes in detail after he had left the table.

I encouraged my son-in-law, who loves black eyed peas, to order the Hoppin' John, even though the waiter insisted that there were no black eyed peas in Virginia's Hoppin' John. Guess what? The waiter was wrong, and I was right. Son-in-law was very happy.

My dinner was also below my expectations. My fried chicken was badly over cooked (tasty, but dry); and none of the vegetable sides were as good as I am used to around Charleston. As you mentioned, the portions were rather small (contrary to southern tradition). Small portions are fine for me, but hubby and son-in-law would have enjoyed more.

Fortunately, everyone else in the family enjoyed their dinners; but I am now hesitant to recommend the restaurant. I was eager to write a great review on TA. Since our group's experience was "mixed", I decided to skip the review.

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip Review 5-23/5-24

yea I’m all about some southern style food, but who advertises chicken and dumplins and throws a few dumplins and small pieces of chicken in a soup with chopped up veggies?? I mean when I think of chicken & dumplins, REAL chicken & dumplins, its not no soup based...

And I thought OK, waitress said they have wonderful homemade banana pudding. I get it, and it was in this small little bowl, and had the vanilla wafers lined around the outside of the bowl, and in the middle all it was, was some pudding with a banana underneath! It was pitiful & I even wrote it down my reviews for them on the card they give you with their ticket!

Oh, and another thing is their online menu has incorrect prices. Everything was higher in the restaurant. For example, it showed the chicken & dumplins on the dinner menu online to be $9.99 which was already a rip off if you saw what it looked like, but there on the menu it was $12.99...even more of a rip off! And when they saw my wife barely ate what she got and we said it wasn't what we expected, and wasn't that good, she just apologized and said we're encouraged to write our reviews down on that card and didn't even take it off our bill or nothing. And yea, the atmosphere doesn't feel like a southern style restaurant, it's kinda got that modern vibe like I’m in a restaurant in NYC..

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip Review 5-23/5-24

Oh, dear. I forgot the banana pudding. Hubby ordered it, and his face fell when he saw it. He was "OK", because he loves bananas in any form. It just wasn't what he was expecting (i.e. the same massive banana pudding, chock full of mashed up bananas and topped with meringue, that I make at home).

Most of the wonderful restaurants in Charleston do variations on "lowcountry" cuisine. I LOVE lowcountry cooking, but it is a different animal from inland, southern, soul food. Virginia's has a great opportunity to showcase traditional "Deep South" southern food in downtown Charleston. I hope they are reading TA, and looking to improve.

There are some "soul food" restaurants in the Charleston area that you might want to try on a future visit. Some have been mentioned in the forums.

In my opinion, the best fried chicken is at Rosebank Farms Cafe, at the Bohicket Marina on Seabrook Island. Even there ... go early, before the fryer gets too hot, for the best chicken.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip Review 5-23/5-24

Thanks for your review. I have to agree about Virgina's. Glad you tried Jestine's Coca-Cola Cake, too. Come back soon.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip Review 5-23/5-24

I took my wife to Virginia's not long after they opened and we were pretty disappointed as well. I got the fried chicken livers and honestly, they're better at KFC. I also agree with the ideas that it's faux Southern fare that is too expensive.

Thanks for your trip report; I always enjoy them.

Nashville,TN
Level Contributor
92 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip Review 5-23/5-24

Wow, we had better experiences at Virginia's. Albeit our breakfast was better then our dinner. We chose to go to dinner there based on what a great breakfast we had. I appreciate your report to try to do the things on your agenda we did not get to on ours. We must try the coconut cake everyone speaks of. It sounds like the holy grail of coconut cake.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My trip Review 5-23/5-24

Next time, try Gullah Cuisine. They have, well, Gullah cuisine and the banana pudding sounds better than what you had even though it was in a buffet. I'm laughing at the banana pudding b/c I just got "Bananas Foster" in yogurt-like containers at the Pig. What was I thinking - that it would taste like something from Brennan's? On top of that they said 60 calories - that should have been the tip off. Now if it said "600 calories" it'd be closer! uuuuuggggghhhhhhh and ;) !

8. Re: My trip Review 5-23/5-24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2009, 08:18