We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly moving

Kansas
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Possibly moving

My husband and I plan to move from KS. We fell in love with Charleston about a year ago and have considered that area (or Austin, TX) to relocate. How is the economic climate (unemployment rate, job growth, etc.) He is a sales manager for a liquor distributor and I am a university recruiter. We both have advanced degrees. Any advice, opinions, etc., are really appreciated.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly moving

Charleston is definitely growing. There is a large hospitality industry, so lots of liquor for the hotels, bars, etc. You probably already know that there are 4 universities in Charleston - Citadel, College of Charleston, Medical Univ., and the Baptist College, altho I believe that is now called Charleston Southern Univ. The Mount Pleasant side of Charleston probably has the highest growth rate. Depending on what you are comparing it to, the cost of living and housing may be higher here since it is on the coast. Compared to the northeast, it is less, but I have no idea about Kansas.

I personally would not live any where else in SC. My second choice would be SW Colorado. I have lived in the south all of my life and in Charleston for 18 years, excluding the time I spent in Pittsburgh doing my residency.

You could probably find more info by going the Charleston Chamber of Commerce web site - don't know the exact address, just search using that name. You may also want to search Mt. Pleasant, SC to find more info on that area. We live on the Isle of Palms, so do most of our shopping, eating out, etc in Mt. Pleasant.

If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to try and answer them or at least point you in the right direction to find an answer.

Good luck.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly moving

to ekayea: did you happen to see this?

…msn.com/content/…P129581.asp

to endofsunshine: although I recently went to Charleston for the first time, and really did like it too....there are other parts of SC that also shine! (www.tegacaysc.org) :o)

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
317 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibly moving

In general, unless you work for a company not based in Charleston, then your salary will be much lower than national averages. Why? Don't know. But I am a medical professional, and got paid way below national average, because ....uh, my employers could give me no reason..., but that Jim Bob across the street was only paying his PA/NP this certain amount, so why should he have to do any different. Now, my husband who works for a company based in Chicago and was just working in Charleston, was getting national average type of pay (or more) and was better paid than most in our neighborhood. Most of my friends observed the same thing. It is an "old money" town, so unless you are related to people who have been there since childbirth and have political allies, you will continue to be looked down upon. Charleston's climate and uniquesness draws me back to the area (and we hope to return), but the education and backwardness of the politics and running of cities (i.e. Mt Pleasant) seemed strange to me.

Kansas
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibly moving

I appreciate the replies and the information. It is really going to boil down to whether or not we can find suitable employment. After the first of the year, we plan to start aggressively looking at a few areas. Like I said, my husband likes Austin and seems to think that there is a strong job growth rate, we both loved Charleston (actually thinking of Summerville area) and who knows where else. I would like to live somewhere green w/i a 3 hour drive to the ocean. But low unemployment and job growth is very important.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibly moving

I disagree on some points with ippalooza. Medical professionals in Charleston tend to make less due to the fact that the area is over populated with medical professionals. So many people love the area and choose to stay after grad from the Medical Univ., leading to over population and a steady supply of new grads who willingly accept lower pay due to lack of experience. It is unfortunate. I disagree that if you are not "old money" then you don't count. MOST of Charleston is not "old money". I am not implying any judgement of ippalooza, I don't know her, but some people who come in from the northeast have a different mindset and attitude and do not easily adapt or fit in here in the south. I have known a few people like this. I did not fit in very well when I lived in the northeast for a few years.

Some areas of town are not very well planned or operated, but I think that is the case in areas all over the country. No one area is a good fit for all people, different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Enjoy, where ever you end up.