We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help with southeast coast vacation

NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
need help with southeast coast vacation

Hi,

We're from NY (late 20's) and my husband is going to a conference in Atlanta in early-mid September. We were thinking of renting a car and making a 10 day vacation out of that trip, visiting Charleston, and maybe seeing more of the southern east coast (neither one of us has been to the South outside of Florida).

Any suggestions for a 10 day itinerary? Which cities/states to visit, and for how many days? We would love to visit some nice beach along the way.

Thanks for the help!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help with southeast coast vacation

Consider allocating part of your time to staying on Isle of Palms, so that you can combine a beach retreat with exploring Charleston, which is about 20 minutes away.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help with southeast coast vacation

What do you like to do?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help with southeast coast vacation

Just to throw out a few ideas...

Definitely consider seeing a few things in Atlanta itself. At the very least, see - CNN, Coca Cola World, the Georgia Aquarium.

First of all, Florida is not "the south", at least in spirit. I suggest driving this loop:

Asheville, NC 2 days; Charleston, SC and the area beaches 4 days; Savannah, GA 2 days; head back to Atlanta. If you end up having more time, I'd add it to Charleston OR stop in Beaufort/Hilton Head on the way to Savannah.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help with southeast coast vacation

I agree with CultureHound that Asheville, and the NC mountains, will be nice for a September trip.

If you prefer to stick to the coast, you can easily spend 10 days wandering the route Charleston-Savannah-St Augustine. All along the way there are lovely barrier islands. In September, rates are lower at the beaches, and you can get short rentals, which are not available in mid-summer.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help with southeast coast vacation

I was considering putting St. Aug on the list, but with 10 total days (and I really think that you could spend 1-2 days in Atlanta - there is so much to do and it's a really nice city) I left St Aug, St. Simon's Island, Jekyll Island off the list. St. Aug is too great a distance from Savannah (2 1/2 to 3 hours) to make it worth the extra drive back to Atlanta on your way back (it would be about 5+ hours from Atlanta).

Also be wary what time you leave Atlanta metro and return to...Atlanta is in the top 10 most congested driving cities. While you're there, consider taking Marta (train) - cheap, easy and convenient - goes right inside the airport, too with no change of trains.

6. Re: need help with southeast coast vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 06:20