We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

Hubby and I decided to stay in the HD, by ourselves (no kids, no friends), for the first time in years, prior to heading out to Kiawah for the week.

We chose to stay at the Vendue Inn, mostly for the rooftop bar, where we planned to watch the fireworks (we didn't, the crowds started lining up about 5:00pm, not our cup of tea, we did just walk out to the waterfront park about 9:40 and it was perfect!).

The Vendue was wonderful, most congenial staff, room was small but comfortable (we basically only slept there). Included in the price of the room is a great breakfast, from a full menu, not a buffet (you can choose pretty much whatever combination of whatever you want), fruit infused iced water in the afternoon (was wonderful after walking for miles in the heat), wine and appetizers at 5:00 and milk and cookies at 9:00.

We arrived at the Vendue about 6:00pm, just about the end of the wine reception, but the bellman made sure that he asked if we'd like a glass of wine to take upstairs with us (of course!). After dropping our things, we made our first trip out to the waterfront park (we love that place!)

We'd made reservations at 82 Queen for our first evening (only .5 mile away), I wanted to dress up a little and planned on wearing heels, so the bellman ordered us a pedicab. We'd ridden with these guys before and as in the past, we had a ball! Mostly college guys (soccer players), although one that evening was a high school physics teacher, so much fun (I think it was $4.50 p/p to ride anywhere downtown).

Up early on Saturday morning, after breakfast and a visit out to the waterfront park we we headed down to Marion Square for the weekly Farmers Market, it was fun as always, a few less artists than usual because of the holiday. We walked back down King St., stopping in here and there, taking our time, in the heat.

We turned down Queen St. to go back to the Inn and stopped and read the lunch menu for 82 Queen. We'd enjoyed dinner the evening before so much, that after we went back to the Inn to drop off our purchases, we turned around and walked back to 82 Queen for lunch. Note: right now when they give you your receipt, there is a coupon on it for 25% off on your next meal, within 7 days, what a deal!

After lunch we walked back to the Inn, took a break for a while, then set off for the Battery. We found a bench and parked ourselves there for a while, peoplewatching was great, as always. We got back to the Inn in time for ice chilled melon & blueberry water, what a treat. We sat in a little parlor type room chatting w/several other guests till it was time for the wine reception.

Several different types of wine were offered, along with cheeses, crackers and dips, very nice! Guests are encouraged to mingle and we enjoyed speaking w/a couple from Germany and a couple from Atlanta.

We'd planned on a light dinner and just crossed the street to The Griffon for a sandwich, good choice, not crowded at all and food was very good. After dinner we walked out to the pier for about an hour, just watching all the boats filling the harbor for the fireworks display. It was only about 8:30, so we headed back to the Inn for a while.

As stated above, we just walked out to the pier (again) for the fireworks, which were great, crowd was very well behaved.

Sunday morning, after breakfast, we walked out to the waterfront pier again, we really enjoyed that early morning quiet time in the city. We left about 10:00 (check out is 11:00).

We had a ball and were so glad we'd decided to do our little trip in town, we may have to do it again in a few years.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

Nice to know that Charleston can entertain even seasoned Charleston "visitors" (but you're way past the "visitor" stage maybe we can call you a "visi-dent" or "resi-tor"!)

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

Thanks for the report, Beth. As you have demonstrated, there is always more to enjoy and to explore in lovely Charleston.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

Culturehound - we have a place in Colorado and I am there often enough that they call me a "semi-local".

haha

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

Isn't it wonderful to play visitor? I love doing that!!!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

Awesome!

Thanks for the great report!

I absolutely love the waterfront down on Concord St between the fountain and the battery. It's usually not too crowded and is just so serene.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
324 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

Did you kayak with Ralph. i did on hyour suggestion and it was very nice. Thanks for the input.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

We paddled w/Ralph yesterday (Friday). The ACE Basin, 14 miles of the beautiful Ashepoo River and several creeks. We got lucky, it was the first day w/blue skies this week and the temps were just over 80.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

KB, you totally inspired me! As soon as I have time, I'm gonaa go spend the night downtown! Glad you got to paddle. The weather right now is so great.

9. Re: Trip Report -4th of July Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 05:18