We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

Hi! The people on this site have helped me out before so I figured I would ask you all for help once again.

Long story short....My dad lives in Mt. Pleasant South Carolina. He needs surgery & lives alone.

I live out west in California. I need to fly to Charleston by myself (gulp) rent a car, drive over that scary Cooper river bridge....

Here is my question: I checked out Mapquest and Yahoo and the directions are TOTALLY different.

Anyone who knows or drives that area with any suggestions I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

Sorry. Hope you hear exact directions soon. I will say Mapquest has some strange directions often. I believe I read they stick to the highways mostly....but that must mean even to the point of doubling back. Friends and I have all bypassed things following their directions. Mapquest had guests coming to my house by going down the other side of the state (because it was a major highway) and then cutting over...a couple of hours out of the way. I have liked Mapblast and Yahoo.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

Hi Nell.

Trust me, there's no reason to be scared about driving to Mt. Pleasant anymore.

If you're coming from the airport, you have two options: You can take I-526, which is a very easy drive that will deposit you right in Mt. P. You can also drive over the new Ravenel bridge, which just opened and has replaced the "scary" old Cooper River Bridges.

So, nothing to worry about at all. You won't need either Mapquest or Yahoo.

I hope your dad gets through his surgery in great shape!

Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

Okay...I am staring to fell a bit better about the trip. When i leave the airport is it a no brainer to find I 526 or the beginnings of the bridge?

Or do you think I should ask an airport personnel to at least get me over to one or the other.

Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

Floski,

Thanks for you well wishes about my dad, too.

Mt. Pleasant, SC
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

The new bridge over the Cooper River is now open and the old bridges are in the process of being taken down. The new bridge is no problem at all to drive over. Just follow the signs from the airport to Mt. Pleasant. Good luck.

Mt. Pleasant, SC
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

The new bridge over the Cooper River is now open and the old bridges are in the process of being taken down. The new bridge is no problem at all to drive over. Just follow the signs from the airport to Mt. Pleasant. Good luck.

Mt. Pleasant, SC
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

I can empathize with you and your anxiety!

But don't worry about it; you have enough on your plate and don't want to waste time or effort on getting to MtP.

Upon exiting the airport, the directions to MtP are very well placed. Just stay on that main airport road and take I-526 (east, I think) to Mt. Pleasant. 526 will take you to Hwy 17 which is the main artery that comes into/goes out of Charleston.

What am I saying? Don't worry, you'll be just fine. I promise.

Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

Thanks beachmamamma and Floski,

Guess I will just take a deep breath and go for it!

Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charleston/Mt.Pleasant unusual request

One more question....

which route do YOU recommend and why.

The bridge or not?

Thanks in advance, Nell