We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

locals seafood

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord NC
Level Contributor
531 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
locals seafood

Where do the locals near Isle of Plams go to eat seafood? We have tried Hyman's downtown and we thought it was good but also a little pricey. I saw a program about a place called Hominy Grill and it looks good. I wondered if there is a mom and pop place that might have good seafood,something like a family owned diner. Thanks

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,530 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: locals seafood

There are lots of places around that have seafood.

For a diner like atmosphere (nothing fancy, in decor or style of food) try Page's Okra Grill on Coleman Blvd. in Mt. Pleasant. You could also try High Thyme on Sullivan's Island for more upscale. Also on Sullivan's Island is Station 22 and Sullivan's, both have some good traditional type southern seafood items ie - fried shrimp, scallops, etc. Vickery's on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant also has some nice dishes. Shem Creek Bar and Grill on the opposite side of Shem Creek also has quite a following, but it is not my favorite.

To be honest, the locals avoid Hyman's. I would also say to avoid an out of the way place in Mt. Pleasant called The Wreck (of the Richard & Charlene)

Overpriced seafood served on paper plates. Some people love it for the crazy atmosphere tho.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,530 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: locals seafood

Forgot the websites.

www.highthymecuisine.com

www.vickerysbarandgrill.com

www.shemcreekbarandgrill.com

www.wreckrc.com

The others don't have websites, but if you google them, reviews will come up.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: locals seafood

My favorite for truly local seafood would be Gilligan's. They have a location in downtown Charleston near the Market area and also in West Ashley near Hwy 17 and Main Road (they actually call that one their Johns Island location).

Gilligan's uses only local shrimp. If you are here in the Fall or Winter, their local oysters can not be beat.

Gilligan's has about 7 locations in SC, 4 of which are in the Charleston metro area (Downtown, Johns Island, Summerville, and Moncks Corner). For great local seafood in a casual setting at reasonable prices, that's where I go. And I am a Charleston native!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: locals seafood

No locals go to Hyman's. Endo's recs are great. We disagree on the Wreck. I love it and go there often.

http://www.wreckrc.com/

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: locals seafood

Only three place I go to eat seafood... Sullivan's on Sullivans Island. It is small, quaint and actually is Mom and Pop. The Wreck on Shem Creek has great seafood and great atmosphere but doesn't seem as good as it used to be. And I haven't been there in but I believe Bowen's island out toward Folly beach is a dive but has great food.

AVOID Hyman's.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: locals seafood

I agree with cbagordon: Bowen's Island is a great casual restaurant ("a dive") if you are near Folly Beach. They were recently featured on an episode of Man vs Food on The Travel Channel. Scrictly local seafood...and family run and operated for over 50 years at the same location on the Folly River. It would be about a 15 to 20 minute drive from Downtown Charleston.

However, Gilligan's is still my favorite.

Charleston's great local seafood is one of the best things about living in the Lowcountry. And try something new, if you are so inspired. Ever had shrimp and grits?

Enjoy your trip!

Charleston
Level Contributor
512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: locals seafood

SeeWee restaurant in Awendaw has a diner-type atmosphere and awesome food! It is probably a 30 minute drive from downtown, but only 15-20 from Mt. Pleasant.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: locals seafood

I like the Wreck of the R&C, in Shem Creek. We go early, before the restaurant (and the BAR) get crowded, and in the off-season months, when the air is cooler and the sunset is earlier.

SeeWee is fun. Good family atmosphere, and home cooking. Unlike lots of other places, SeeWee is open for lunch. SeeWee is in a out-of-the-way location, on Rt. 17 north of Mt Pleasant. It's not on the water, or near anything else you might want to do or see. I am not sure I would recommend a special trip.

Downtown, Hank's is great. There again - go early! If you arrive after 6 pm, expect to wait (even with a reservation), or choose to eat at the bar or at the long communal table.

We haven't been to Bowen's, but it is on our list. Recently I have had trouble with the Bowen's website. Glad to know the place is still in operation.

Hyman's is a "NO GO", in our opinion.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
261 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: locals seafood

We went to Bowen's Island for the first time this summer and LOVED it. It is a dive, but the seafood was incredibly fresh and there was just something really fun and relaxing about sitting on the dock and eating while we watched dolphins play in the creek.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: locals seafood

Be sure to have dinner at Shem Creek as the sun is setting. The view is awesome.