We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston culture

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston culture

Good Morning,

We are older couple looking where to retire. We have lived all over and presently are in Chicago. Love all the city has to offer...hate the winters> no shock there. We enjoy theatre,dance, music ballet etc. Can a Charleston resident give me some info as to these activities in Charleston? I know the area is beautiful and has lots of history but I cannot seem to find ..for example... touring Broadway shows. Thank you. My email: jeln@aol.com. Please put Charleston as subject so I can find in spam.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston culture

I'll answer quickly, because your post will probably be removed. It's against policy to post about moving.

We have this:

http://www.spoletousa.org/

and this

www.mojafestival.com/about/default.aspx

and this:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/venue/115168/

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston culture

I love it when y'all post in an English accent!

j/k

Charleston is light years different from Chicago. It's beautiful and a great place to live, but we obviously don't have a lot of things that the Windy City has. Great theatre, but not a lot of Broadway shows make it down here.

One thing you need to know, especially this time of year - it is just ridiculously hot. And lots of mosquitoes and other bugs such as Palmetto Bugs, which are big (up to 3") cockroach looking monstrosities.

It's a wonderful place to live, though. Check out shank's links and just Google Charleston. The Chamber of Commerce is a good place to start.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston culture

Floski's right, as usual! It's mercileesly hot this time of year, and Palmetto bugs, while they don't bother me, scare the wits out of people from off. Tata!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston culture

We will be retiring to Charleston in 2 years, but we have also been visiting the area for over 20 yrs (several times a year)and are property owners on one of the islands, thus we are very aware of the pros and cons. Obviously, we think there are more pros...

Coming from Ohio, we are definitely looking forward to not having cold, snowy winters. We enjoy the outdoors and will love having a place we can participate in our sports all year round. Since Charleston is a college town, there are plenty of activities that are offered by the college.

If you look at the calendar on the Charleston Convention & Visitors website, you will see there is something going on most every weekend throughout the year (may not be the caliber of what you are used to in Chicago, but there is plenty to do if you are willing to expand your horizons and look into different types of music, theatre and dance). On the other hand, as indicated above, you can't get much more culture than what's offered through Spoleto...

www.charlestoncvb.com

Charleston is a great "foodie" town, if you are into trying different cuisines.

So, yes, there is plenty to keep you busy (both indoors and out)and cultured, especially if you want to learn a little more.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston culture

The North Charleston Performing Arts Center also offers its "Best of Broadway" series each year. In it's 11th year, there are typically about 5 or 6 shows per season. This year's lineup (October thru April) includes the following: Camelot, Avenue Q, Wizard of Oz, Jesus Christ Superstar, and The Color Purple.

You can get tickets for individual shows or become a season ticket holder by visiting www.coliseumpac.com or emailing broadway@knology.net

I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years. In my opinion, the quality of the shows which come here to Charleston are equal to or better than what you actually see on Broadway in New York!

I hope this helps you.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston culture

Please consider Greenville SC as well. It's very rich in the arts and entertainment, with many wonderful restaurants and shops and a gorgeous downtown. We just returned from seeing Chicago the Musical at the Peace Center starring Samantha Harris This season we also get South Pacific, Spring Awakening and Wicked, not to mention countless artists such as Diana Krall, Chriss Botti, Itzhak Perlman and many others.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/

However Charleston one our favorite places on the planet. Actually we're headed there in 2 weeks! You should check out both!!!

7. Re: Charleston culture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 06:21