We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gardens end of October?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
gardens end of October?

We've visited Magnolia and Middleton a number of times, but always in spring. Haven't been there in maybe 6 years or so. Will be in Charleston for the day end of October. Wondering what the gardens are like then. Worth another visit? Thank you.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gardens end of October?

Well, it depends. That is not a time of year that we have something great blooming, but if we continue with our ultra-dry weather (low humidity and no rain) and if we get a cold snap we could get some color. I believe the sweetgrass will be blooming - and it is gorgeous. However, the end of October is a little soon for fall color even in the best of circumstances - we get it closer to Thanksgiving.

Perhaps a master gardener will check in.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gardens end of October?

Might that be me? Middleton and Magnolia both are planted as they were. Middleton has wonderful camellias, but October is to early for the blooms Gardens will be in transition- the annuals might still be fine but tired. The roses at Boone Hall will have their last flush in Ocober-no guarantees, but if you love a garden in October, go to Boone Hall.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
295 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gardens end of October?

I would stay right in Charleston and just wander through the beautiful streets South of Broad. There are hidden gardens behind exquisite wrought iron gates and fences, and the houses are picture perfect.

florida
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gardens end of October?

Thanks for replies. Though we've wandered those streets dozens of times, I guess that's what we'll do again. It's a handsome place for sure..

5. Re: gardens end of October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2010, 04:17