We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

We are staying in Folly Beach for a week in October. We want to eat out one time a day for lunch/dinner. The rest of the meals will be cooked at condo or ate at local places on Folly. I have come up with a list after reading the great advise of the people on the forum. What do you think?

1. 82 Queen

2. Hanks

3. Poogan's Porch

4. Mustard Seed

5. Reds at Shems Creek

6. Bowens Island Restaurant

7. Poes on IOP

Thanks

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

All of those are great picks, especially Bowens Island. Since it is the closest to Folly, I have a feeling you will be eating there more than once.

If you have a chance to squeeze in the Hominy Grill, you will not be disappointed.

Have a delicious journey...and be sure to give us your review after your trip!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

I like your list and I agree with working in Hominy. If you are going to Red's for the "scene", you'll be fine-great view, but the food's not as outstanding as some other places. Have a cocktail there, and eat supper somewhere else. And Poe's is on Sullivans.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

Good list, while you are in town, try to hit the rooftop bar at Market Pavillion, great view. Good place for a mid-afternoon refreshment.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

Great list!

Since I just visited Bowen's Island on Thursday, I'll offer my review here:

Time your dinner for sunset, which is is spectacular from Bowen's. Choose a table on the dock itself. Apply bug spray; sit back and enjoy.

Bowen's is unlike any other restaurant. Bowen's takes "casual" to the extreme.

You place your order in the dock master's office when you arrive. The attendant hands you your drink (we chose, as always, Palmetto Amber beer), and then brings your order to your table. If you want another drink, you walk back to the office. When you are ready to leave, you go back to the office to pay, and to leave a tip in the jar.

Order the roasted (steamed) oysters, which come from Bowen's own oyster beds. (Unfortunately, the oysters were not yet available when we were there on Thursday, but they will be abundant in October.)

Follow up with the fried shrimp. Otherwise, the crab cakes are OK (although not as crab-packed as Maryland crab cakes). The fried fish, dependent upon what was caught that day, was not as good on Thursday night as the fried fish I do at home.

I also suspect the Frogmore stew is very good, but I haven't tried it since I'm stuck on the fried shrimp.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

I agree with shanklemsw - Red's is great for the scene - people, sunset, dogs (very very pet-friendly!) Most of the place is outdoors so save this for a lovely evening of sunset perhaps after dining at Mt.P's Mustard Seed.

Just a couple of alternatives to use as a "back up" - breakfast at Boulevard Diner; Lunch at Seewee Restaurant (Awendaw -about 10 min north of IOP Connector).

Enjoy!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

Another backup possibility in downtown Charleston -

Consider lunch (or breakfast) at Joseph's, on Meeting Street near the corner or Queen Street. Cheap, local, and yummy. Try the fried green tomato starter and the oyster po'boy sandwich. Portions are huge, so you'll have lots of energy for touring.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

OK Red's is out. We ate next door at Rb's last year. The food was good but waitress was really rude. Where else at Shems Creek to eat?

Thanks

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

I like Shem Creek Bar and Grill. Nice outdoor seating area and menu. It's not, however, on the side with the shrimp boats.

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

"We ate next door at Rb's last year. The food was good but waitress was really rude."

We had lunch at RB's on our trip a couple of weeks ago; our service was good (and the food was good, too).

We also dined at Water's Edge (just across from Red's) and enjoyed that meal (food and service were very good).

Rhode Island USA
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Restaurant Picks for Charleston Area

I also vote for Water's Edge. Great service and food. Watching the dolphins swim up and down the creek was a bonus!