We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Perth
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Hi , i am coming to visit from Australia in April and are planning to travel from Richmond Virginia to Charleston SC , can someone recommend a nice and interesting place to stop over on the way, also some ideas on the best way to travel, ie, drive, train, bus.

Thanks

Travelman

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Hi, and welcome!

You should drive. Public transportation is not an option and I think you might want to stop along the way. It's not that far and, if you drive I95 it should take you 5-6 hours. However, parts of Eastern NC are nice and the barbeque is legendary. What are your interests? I can help you with places to stop if I know more.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Your best bet for travel would most likely be to drive. Trains here tend to be very slow, as they stop in every town along the way.

Do you want to stop somewhere for several days or just a few hours?

There are several places in North Carolina that I would suggest, but they are a bit out of your way, especially if you want to stop briefly.

Some suggestions are...

The Outer Banks of NC - a series of small islands off the coast of NC, very natural and beautiful.

Wilmington, NC - on the NC coast, further south. Charming coastal town.

Asheville, NC - in the Appalachian mountains, has the Blue Ridgeridge Parkway, which is a beautiful scenic drive. Also has Biltmore House. Was built by the Vanderbilts as a vacation home, was the largest private home in the U.S. Now open to tour as a museum house, beautiful and very interesting. Many other things to see on the grounds as well.

Perth
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Thank you both, that's great, I will drive, I like sight seeing and history so was hoping to see as much as poss.

Cheers

Travelman

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

You might enjoy the Outer Banks of NC. The first airplane was flown there at Kitty Hawk. It might still be a little chilly on that beach in April.

Edenton, Bath, and New Bern are all nice historic towns. I agree with all endo's recs too.

Here's a link to Eastern NC BBQ places. There are several that are not far off I(%:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/658918

Perth
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Thanks again, I am still in quite early stages of planning, can you give me some feedback on my itinery so far and any ammendments you can suggest. NYC [stay 4] days, train to Washinton Dc [stay 3 days], Train/drive Richmond Virginia [stay 2 days], drive Charleston SC [stay 3 days], drive Savannah Georgia [stay 2 days], fly/drive New Orleans [stay 4 days].

Thanks

Travelman

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Your itenerary looks good. I would skip the 2 days in Richmond and spend them in Asheville NC as the other poster suggested. I would fly from Savannah to New Orleans. It is a long drive.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

I think you will find in each location that you could easily stay longer, as there is much to see and do in each area. However, I think in the time frames that you mentioned, you will be able to get a nice taste for the areas.

Perth
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Thanks all

Perth
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Thanks, how long would it take to drive from Washington DC to Ashville NC.

Cheers

TM

Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: place to visit betweem Richmond and Charleston Sc

Travel,

Was your trip to Richmond related to the American Civil War? If so, then I'd keep it on my list of cities - to include Petersburg, just south of there.

If the Civil War is of interest to you, let me know, and I can give you some spots between Richmond and Charleston to stop.

Asheville is all the way across the state of NC and will take you way out of your way from Richmond to Charleston. If its mountains you want to see, then I would suggest the Shenandoah Valley, since it is so much closer to your east coast route.