We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

New York
9 posts
Save Topic
Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

My girlfriend and I are heading to Charleston for a weekend in December. Are there any modern, stylish, boutique hotels, inns, or b&b's in Charleston? We certainly don't mind a mix of traditional and modern either. It seems like a lot of places are 'quaint', stuffy, and frilly which we do not like at all. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

Well, there are plenty of boutique places but by modern do you mean the building or the decor? As most of Charleston is historic - over 100 years old and sometimes over 200 years old - "modern" is not something we do. The decor is often "period" so it won't be "NY apartment". For that, you'd have to go way outside the city. If you have to have modern, Atlanta is the place.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

Well said Culturehound. You are the best. What the heck is a stuffy, frilly ,quaint, hotel?

Maybe in NYC?

Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

culturehound and 24fan are absolutely right! perhaps you can tell us specifically what you are looking for in stead of telling us what you do not like, there are several places in the peninsula that are relatively new, tastefully decorated,but they are not in the stylish, boutiue, inn, or b&b category; they are larger, yet with character, most of them stylish....?!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

What did you look at?

New York
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

Hi, sorry, I guess my post was a bit open ended. Well, the Market Street Inn was recommended by friends but I don't like the decor. It looks beautiful but traditional in an old fashioned sense. I guess thats what i meant by frilly and quaint. I'm all for historic and traditional but I guess I just don't like the tradition inn/b&b look. So I guess I'm just looking for a nice and cool hotel (traditional or modern) that would appeal to a young couple. The Pavillion, Charleston Place, and Francis Marion were all recommended to me as well. While I like them a lot better than the Market Street Inn none of them have jumped out and grabbed me yet. I hope this helps. Thanks again.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

It's Charleston. It's gonna be old fashioned. That's the point. Charleston is known for its architechture. New buildings have to be built in keeping with the look of the old ones.

The Francis Marion is an historic hotel at King and Calhoun. Given your specs I would skip it. Market Pavilion rooms look like this:

www.marketpavilion.com/index.cfm…

There's a great rooftop bar there.

Charleston Place rooms look like this:

charlestonplace.com/web/ocha/rooms_suites.jsp

As you can see, the decor is in keeping with Charleston style. I wouldn't worry too much about the room decor. Most of your time will be spent outside exploring.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

If you are looking for modern, clean, sleek lines, sparse in furnishings and accessories - you are not going to find it in Charleston. Most people that come here want to have the "luxury, old south" type experience and that is what the hotels cater to.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

There is an Aloft (part of the W chain) in the Airport/North Charleston area, if you don't mind driving back and forth downtown (about 15 minutes each way).

If you want to stay downtown, you might try searching the VRBO site for a condo or something like this: http://www.vrbo.com/171572. It seems like I have seen a modern style condo b&b site, but I can't find it now. If I run across it, I will post it for you.

New York
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

Thank you all very much for your advice. I really appreciate it. After looking at a few different options I think we have it narrowed down to Market Pavillion and The Planters Inn, which I'm sure seems like an odd choice after this whole discussion. It looks like a beatiful place. Thanks again.

Dan

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any modern boutique hotels in charleston?

Charleston, in general, is a chic blend of old and new. If you ever get a chance to go on one of the private tours of homes and gardens, you will be amazed by the ingenious interior design that adapts ancient dwellings for contemporary life.

Both of your top choices are good. You will enjoy being in the heart of the historic district.