We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE in Charleston

Harrison, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
NYE in Charleston

Hello.. I am 25 and I am going to Charleston for New Years with my fiance. We're not into any clubs or scenes where you pay $50-100 to get in and cant even move or get to the bar. We're looking for 1) somewhere to get a good meal, decently priced, in charleston on new years eve..and then 2) a bar scene that will be a good time but not too insanely crowded or too expensive. Also, if anyone knows of a good, decent priced hotel..that would help, too! I don't really know the different parts of Charleston or what part will be good/fun on new years. Also, if anyone knows what goes on in charleston on new years eve (traditions, etc)..please let me know! THANKS!!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE in Charleston

Many restaurants have special New Year's Eve menus. One you might look at is SNOB - $49 per person for 2 courses; 56 for 3 courses.

mavericksouthernkitchens.com/pdf/menus/56571…

If you have a late night seating, you can walk to the waterfront from there and enjoy the fireworks.

Harrison, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE in Charleston

thank you, where exactly do the fireworks take place? and what time?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,917 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE in Charleston

Many of the restaurants will get booked up for NYE, so it would be a good idea to decide ASAP and make a reservation.

Do not know what your budget is.... the hotels in the historic district downtown will the the most expensive, with prices decreasing once you get out of downtown. (ie Mt. Pleasant or Isle of Palms)

Harrison, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE in Charleston

well for new year's eve, we don't really want to spend over say...$70 a person for a dinner. i saw something about a NYE dinner at high cotton...is that good for dinner? I'm not familiar with any of the places in the area. Do you suggest any good places that are decently priced?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE in Charleston

I have just learned that KICKIN CHICKEN in summerville is having a Christmas party. Dec. 25the @ 8PM. Live Music with local duo:

Very inexpensive, Summerville is not that far from Charleston...

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYE in Charleston

I'm not exactly sure what your definition of "insanely crowded" is, but most of the downtown bars putting on a NYE fete will be pretty packed. For that matter, most of the more popular bars out on Sullivan's or West Ashley will probably be fairly crowded as well, but on the whole there's probably a better chance of finding a less crowded bar venue away from the popular downtown Market/King spots.

For a reasonably priced dinner, I'd recommend Mustard Seed. They don't take reservations, but 2 years ago we went for NYE dinner with a party of 10 at about 7:30 and were seated within an hour. They don't do a special NYE fixed menu seating (or at least they didn't 2 years ago), but I'd call to confirm before you go there. Our party of 10 had numerous appetizers and bottles of wine along with our entrees, drinks and coffee, and the bill came out to ~$50 per person before gratuity.

Mustard Seed has a Mt. Pleasant and a James Island location, either of which would be convenient if you chose to go to bars out on Sullivan's, Shem Creek or West Ashley afterwards for your NYE bar celebration. The MP location would be within 5 minutes of either SI (Dunleavy's, Poe's) or Shem Creek (Vickery's, Red's) bars; the JI location would be within spitting distance of the Pour House if you wanted a band-driven NYE scene, and within 5-7 minutes of the WA Avondale scene (Voodoo Tiki Lounge, Gene's Haufbrau, etc).

If you decide to stay downtown and are looking for a martini loungey-type ambient bar atmosphere with DJ-driven beats, I'd recommend Torch Velvet Lounge on King Street. It will probably be crowded, as will very likely all the downtown bar venues, but it's less likely to have a crowd of "chug that beer/slam that shot" folks piling up on the bar. From what I've heard the cover is $10 advance/$20 door, with a "dress as your favorite celebrity" costume contest, reservations strongly recommended.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYE in Charleston

I like High Cotton vey much. We go there a lot.

Should you decide to go outside the HD make sure you take a cab. The police will be out everywhere.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYE in Charleston

Whatever you do try to make your dinner reservations early. That is before 9pm if you are planning on doing a restaurant and then a bar/lounge afterwards. Further I would agreee that you probably want to avoid any places that offer open bar as it becomes difficult to get a drink and generally turns into amatuer night.

Most places downtown will charge a nominal cover. As fas as crowded clubs I think you'll find that the fire marshall strickly enforces capacity on NYE so the only place where you may feel crowded is at an open bar...at the bar.

Check out Torch or Chais for NYE.

Ft. Lauderdale...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: NYE in Charleston

My wife and I are 25 - and will be in Charleston for New Years as well - did you find any good places to eat/drink? We aren't into the club scene either.

Thanks!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYE in Charleston

I am here in Charleston now. We had a quick bite to eat at the Rooftop Bar at the Vendue when we arrived and it is very casual and seems like it would be a great place to spend NYE. Our server said they have a $20 cover that night but she didn't say what is included in that. All the servers wear jeans and she said the crowd would probably be casual.

Sullivan's Island has GREAT bars and restaurants and it is also a casual area. On NY Day, Dunleavy's as there annual Polar Bear Plunge. Wish we could attend but we fly out that day.