We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
seattle, WA
10 posts
Save Topic
Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

I am trying to put together a last minute trip with my 80 year old Mom. We've got some days free when we can travel and I can't decide where to go....we would have 5 days to spend in whatever destination we choose, Thursday through Monday. My sister will be flying down to meet us for the weekend. I think my sister would like to go to Ashville (to see the Biltmore Estate and maybe raft the river) since she hasn't been there before but is willing to meet us in Charleston. My thought is that there is more to do in and around Charleston....so that might be the better destination for this particular trip.... But I've never been to any of these areas and I just don't know. I'll have a car available. Any suggestions on what we might do? Many thanks! One thing, we all enjoy eating well, and I've often travelled to New Orleans just for the food, so I'm looking forward to this visit.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

I've replied to your question in the Savannah forum.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

See my post to you in the North Carolina/ Asheville forum!

Tampa, FL
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

I grew up in Georgia and have lived in Florida my entire adult life. I have visited all three cities and can say -- without a moment's hesitation -- that Charleston SC is by far the best city! Especially taking into account your comments on activities and dining. New Orleans was always my favorite dining city until my first visit to Charleston. You won't go wrong with the cuisine!!! Also, there is plenty to do, although much of our trips to Charleston include a great deal of walking. It is much easier to walk than drive, we have found. My fiance and I have just planned our third trip in 4 years to this beautiful city, which is why I'm on the site -- trying to find a restaurant we haven't yet enjoyed!Have fun wherever you end up going!

kentucky
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

my frist trip to charleston was the most enjoyable time of my life. i had never saw the ocean,and i thought that the isle of plams was the most beautiful place on earth. the people and all the staff of all the places we stayed treated us like family.shem creek,is so cosy and mt.pleasent is a nice town.eveyone i met was really kind and helpful.the yorktown air craft carrier is a great place to visit,not to metion all the plantions,the battery is beautiful,the slave market has alot to offer. this is a great town to visit or to even live. there is enless places to dine and stay! wonderful town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ruby,from kentucky

Morehead City, NC
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

i dunno but has anyone heard of Savanna, SC? i havent...& theirs a concert i wanna go 2 & it says thats where it is...wth...but ive heard of savannah, ga.....but thats not it. i dunno, can anyone help. lol

Leesville SC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

I would suggest Charleston. Both Charleston and Savannah are good examples of "old time" coastal America, but I think Charleston has more to see in a more compact area. Also the weather will be more "normal" this time of the year. They are both hot in the summer and nice now. Asheville (NC) is an older mountain city. We like the area, but there isn't as much to do or see in a limited area or time frame. Also, there's a better chance you will have snow and cold weather at this time of the year. There are significantly more restaurants in "the old section" of Charleston.

charleston
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

definitely charleston.. charming cobblestone streets, incredible history and lovely mansions... and probably the best food in all of the southeast.... try all on east bay street downtown,,, especially high cotten... also noteworthy, carolines, pennisula grill, union hall on market and poogans porch.. you wont be dissapointed... lisa from charleston.

brick, nj
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

was in charleston last weekend - great! Stayed at the French Quarter Inn - wonderul - greeted with Champagne on arrival - dined at Quenn 82 (courtyard dining) and Magnolias - also delicious. I love Charleston!

Charleston, SC
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

Hey FIREWATER!!! Savannah is in GEORGIA. That's why you can't find it, hon. :)

Jacksonville ,fl
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Charleston SC or Savanna or Ashville??

Have been to all three of your cities a number of times...NO Question, visit Charleston.

You can get rid of the car and see a lot in a small area....great hotels and restaurants. Friendly carriage rides I am sure your 80 yr. would enjoy.

Take day rides to the outlying plantations.

Boat cruise around harbor, etc, etc.

Have a great trip!