We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rochester
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
confused

Hello, Everyone,

We are family of Yankess ; ) mom, dad, teenage boy & girl, driving home to NY from Florida, and we'd love to stop for a 2 day visit in Charleston. We have been to HHI many times, and though our desire to visit Charleston was strong, our bodies were weak!

I've read through sample itineraries, but am still uncertain how to plan an itinerary. We will be there in two weeks, and most of the hotels are pricing higher than we'd like to spend.

How necessary is it to stay downtown?

We want to visit Fort Sumter. Was thinking of eating at Poe Pub

(?) and other other than that, not sure how to direct our visit.

Any suggestions on what else to do?

Thanks for reading this.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused

Staying downtown is something we always recommend on your first visit, especially. However, if after spending lots of $$ on vacation already you want to save some cash, it's ok to stay nearby and drive in. Your family would be happy staying in Mt. Pleasant for those 2 days - just minutes from Charleston but still lots to do there.

My suggestion is to get the combo ticket for the Ft Sumter Harbor cruise and downtown carriage ride. Then play the rest by ear - go on your own walk through the residential area south of Broad Street. (If you save enough $$ on the hotel, the 4 of you might want to do a guided walking tour).

Enjoy your visit - you will no doubt find it's worth the detour!

PS - there was just a report yesterday that downtown hotel rooms are filling up at levels not seen in several years - so maybe that's making the downtown hotel prices a bit higher than they have been.

rochester
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confused

Thanks for replying so quickly - and thanks for the heads up that rooms are booking up fast. I should just secure a reservation, and then look around for a better deal. You may not believe this, but I can't do the carriage ride because I end up feeling so bad for the horse!

I'm sure you're right that it's worth the detour. It's always been something that we never managed to squeeze in while at HHI. I think because after the ride down there, we couldn't bear driving again, before the long drive home.

Actually want to look at the area as a possible relocation destination. There's something about that southern style ; )

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confused

Don't worry about the horses. There are strict laws about their care and you will see they are all just fine! Not like NYC :) The carriage ride is a great way for the whole family to get an overview and history of the HD.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: confused

Also, the horses want to work. That is what they're trained to do. If they didn't work, they might not live as long and fulfilled of a life as they could.

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused

We stayed in Mt. Pleasant last summer, and we found the drive downtown to be a very quick and easy drive. Literally just a matter of a few minutes. We never had much trouble finding a place to park (even when we just drove in to have dinner). I don't think you'll be disappointed if you choose to stay in Mt. Pleasant.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confused

Our horses even wear diapers!

Tip - if you see a funny looking thing in the middle of the street with a 1/2 ball and a wired on flag - do NOT pick it up. It is to mark where the horse sanitation crew needs to clean up.

rochester
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: confused

Thank you all so much. I'm still contemplating this.

You're great.

Donna

Daniel Island...
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: confused

There is a carriage company that uses mule instead if that is any better.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: confused

And there are ones with draft horses. They're huge.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: confused

Back to your original post....

I think you were referring to Poe's Tavern www.poestavern.com

Voted best burgers every year, named for Edgar Allen, who once lived on Sullivan's Island, is decorated with all sorts of Poe memorabilia, very interesting. After about 8pm it is more of a bar than a restaurant.