We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Outdoor Dining/Drinking

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
500 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Outdoor Dining/Drinking

Wondering what everyone's favorite outdoor dining/drinking spot is in and around Charleston?

I'll be there this weekend, and I know we'll be stopping by the Boat House in Isle of Palms either Saturday for lunch or Sunday for brunch, but also looking for somewhere really casual to catch some cocktails with friends.

Looking at Red's Tap House in Mt Pleasant or Windjammer in Isle of Palms.....yes? no? Somewhere else I don't know?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Outdoor Dining/Drinking

Red's Icehouse is your best bet - but get there early to get a parking spot and to reserve a table.

Taco Boy on Huger St in Charleston has a very large outdoor patio as well. The views don't compare, though!

Fleet Landing has great views and might be a good choice - again, if you'll be in the city.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Outdoor Dining/Drinking

The Boathouse is #1 on my list for cocktails with a beautiful view. Their food is great too.

82 Queen has a nice outdoor seating area.

Vendue Inn and Market Pavilion both have nice rooftops bars.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,900 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Outdoor Dining/Drinking

Windjammer is fine if you want drinks and burgers. They serve burgers, hot dogs, that type of thing. Right on the ocean, for a view out to sea.

Coconut Joe's is just down the street from the Windjammer, has a roof top deck. More extensive menu, but only average food.

Charleston
Level Contributor
573 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Outdoor Dining/Drinking

Go to the Windjammer for the beach, volleyball, live music and drinks. Not for the food. Average tasting bar food. Coconut Joe's is also average food. You've also got Banana Cabana with decent bar food and a back patio on the beach.

Shem Creek is your best bet for outdoor drinks and views. You can get a table outside and restaurant service at Vickery's. Red's for a bar atmosphere. Water's Edge Cabana Bar is also pretty cool for drink and better food than Red's. The restaurant part of Water's Edge is a little more upscale, but the Cabana Bar will have people coming in from the boats and is more laid back.

Downtown you have a lot of options. The Pavilion Rooftop is probably the most upscale for drinks and apps, I don't know if you can do a full dinner on the roof. Vendue Rooftop is also a little more upscale. Henry's on Market Street just opened up a rooftop bar that is catered by the Cru Cafe team so should be good food. Mellow Mushroom pizza has a rooftop patio, casual atmosphere. Fleet Landing on the harbor, Taco Boy's funky patio, and 82 Queen's garden have been mentioned.

Charleston, sc
Level Contributor
121 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Outdoor Dining/Drinking

Couple other places to consider:

High Thyme on Sullivan's Island for meal on Saturday or brunch Sunday. They now have a lot of outside sitting. Food is AWESOME! Totally overlooked in Charleston.

Hominy Grille also has a cool outdoor little patio.

As already mentioned:

Downtown - Rooftop at Vendue. Very fun for drinks and apps. Have water views. They also have live music....not sure when. I think you see a little of everything here....

Red's is fun if your young. Otherwise, I think the Cabana bar at Water's Edge (across the creek from Red's) has better food with more mature atmosphere.

6. Re: Favorite Outdoor Dining/Drinking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 06:22