We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

"17 North" was mentioned today in the New York Times "Getaways" column about Charleston. Anyone been there?

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to try "17 North" before all the New Yorkers arrive! http://www.17north.net/index.html

CultureHound's frequent recommendation - "Amen", in the historic district - was also mentioned in the column.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

17 North is about a mile from me...we live on the North end of Mount Pleasant. Food is incredible..prices are very fair.

If people don't already know it is owned by Chef Brett McKee who owns

The Oak Steakhouse in downtown Charleston and O-Ku the new incredible sushi place. Brett McKee is one of the best.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement but his food is always incredible and the ambience in his places is the best!

Enjoy.

…nytimes.com/2010/04/25/travel/25get.html

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

We must run quickly to 17 North. Should we meet up? I love that they have a garden on site.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

Sound good to me, Shankle and Culture! It's a tough job, but experts need to stay informed. ;-)

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

I've been to 17 North - like it a lot - pretty much you have to have a reservation to get in nowadays. Brett just opened a sushi place in town and he's opening 1 - possibly 2 more restaurants (one in Greenville, SC one on Long Island, NY!)

Careful - this guy is one of those superchefs - he's sneaking up on all the really famous ones and right now; everything he touches is golden.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

And yes, we should go! Rumor has it they'll be open for lunch once the new hospital is open. (Mt. P is getting its 2nd brand new hospital this summer; one just opened April 1) Good place to be a doctor!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,917 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

We ate there a couple of months ago and thought the food was good, but not impressive. Tables are very close, we weren't too happy with the atmosphere.

We should probably give it another try tho.

Anyone tried Neil Jordan's on 17 near the Walmart? Have not been there yet.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

Yes - Neil Jordan's is VERY upscale and very nice. Their food is quite nice- good selection. Their number one claim to fame is their steak. Atmosphere kind of Manhattan-y - dark wood.

Dinner not inexpensive, but lunch deals (which I think are Tues-Fri) are half off. Nice wine list, nice bar.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

Sounds like the best bet is to try 17 North for lunch once the new hospital opens. I'm sure that they are still working out some kinks; lunch may be less busy, and a better sample of what the kitchen can do.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

17 North had issues for the first 10 days...they have been over those hurdles for months now. 17 North is great. I am sorry that I am not an expert but as Mount Pleasant goes the only better 2 restaurants here are

Jacob's Kitchen which is hands down #1

Old Village Post House which I put tied with 17 North.

We of course like Sette/Mustard Seed/LPG but the above are a set apart.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 17 North Restaurant in Mt Pleasant

Neil Jordans by the way...overpriced...looking at a Walmart after spending $225 dollars is not my idea of a "nice restaurant"

Business has been tough there.. They do have a good wine bar however.

Since you are all experts, don't miss Jacob's Kitchen. It is the best restaurant hands down in Mt Pleasant.