We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Weekend in Charleston

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary Weekend in Charleston

Hello!

My husband is taking me to Charleston this coming weekend. We discovered the south and it's charm after a visit to TN last year.

I'm excited about the gardens, architecture, plantations, and of course food!

For such a quick trip (Fri-Sun) do you have any top suggestions?

Thank you...trip advisor forum ROCKS!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Weekend in Charleston

There's a lot to do! if you look up in the right hand corner of this page you'll see some recommendations for itineraries. The first thing you should do is take a carriage ride. It is hot right now and coming from CA you won't be accustomed to the humidity so do take water breaks. We can make recs for restaurants if you tell us what you like.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Weekend in Charleston

Yes, best thing to do it read the suggestions at the top right of this page and check the ones to the left also (restaurants, things to do, etc) they will give you loads of info. Then we can help you narrow things down.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Weekend in Charleston

Wow, that is a quick trip. For such a short time, a car isn't necessary but will help you with a couple of the items recommended frequently, such as visiting the beach to swim in our 85 degree water. It is warmer than usual for this time of year so our water heated up faster. Leave your snorkel gear at home - we do not have the emerald green water as in the Gulf, but our water is clean nonetheless. Lots of dolphins everywhere and lots of sea turtles.

For 2 1/2 days I'd stay in the city and wear comfortable shoes. (we have cobblestone streets, and the 200-yr old trees push roots up through some sidewalks so be careful. ) No text messging when walking in Charleston (it's not a law but it should be!)

I'd...

take a carriage ride

go to Waterfront Park

go for a walk in the residential area south of Broad Street

Shop in the Market

Window shop on King Street

go to Sullivan's Island (Poe's Tavern - look that one up)

take a guided walking tour with Jack Thompson or Ed Grimball

have some Shrimp and Grits (where? almost anywhere)

have some She Crab soup

go for a walk on the beach on the north side of Breach Inlet

go for a walk across the Ravenel Bridge

oh, and relax and enjoy!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Weekend in Charleston

Oops -

I forgot...

Go for some ice cold adult beverages at Red's on Shem Creek (at sunset)

Happy Anniversary!

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Weekend in Charleston

You're all the best and this has been super helpful...we LOVE TripAdvisor!!!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
110 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Weekend in Charleston

I would also recommend visiting any of the rooftop bars in the city -- the breeze and the views are remarkable. My favorites are the rooftop bar at the Market Pavilion on the corner of East Bay and North Market; the one at Vendue Inn on Vendue Street near the waterfront park; and the one above Henry's on South Market. Order a Planter's Punch for something Southern and scrumptious -- it's a mix of Myers dark rum and assorted juices. Another new and excellent restaurant/bar to slip into for a drink and an appetizer (try their lump crab cocktail) is Amen Street on the corner of East Bay and Cumberland. Happy anniversary!

7. Re: Anniversary Weekend in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 06:17