We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

New Orleans has Muffalatta's and beniets, Baltimore crabs, NYC cheesecake, Philly Cheesteaks, Pittsburgh Primatti Bros etc.

What are some of THE foods found in Charleston and where are the best and most economical. We love the mom and pop and out of the way places too....

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

Fresh seafood is abundant in Charleston...you'll have to do some reading above under the restaurants tab to get an idea of lots of places in lots of price ranges.

Shrimp and Grits are one of the local favorites and every cook or chef has their own spin on the dish, I've never come across one that I didn't like, in all price ranges.

Boulevard Diner, SNOB, Hominy Grille, 82 Queen, they are all great and different each time.

Hope this gets you off to a good start.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

Boiled peanuts, she-crab soup, fried green tomatoes, okra, collards, field peas, local shrimp, all of it good.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

Similar thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54359-i25-k375041…

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

Thank you. Mouth is watering.....

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

On our first visit to Charleston I decided to try the she-crab soup at almost every restaurant we went to. The styles and flavors were different at each one. My favorite was from The Fleet Landing Restaurant. I imagine that everyone has a favorite depending on which style they like best.

You will not be disappointed with all of the different foods featured in Charleston. It makes me want to go back again very soon!

Bon Appetit.

Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

More foods unique to Charleston:

Red Rice

Hoppin' John

John's Island watermelon - the best watermelon in the whole country

Firefly Vodka - made from muscadines, an indigenous SC grape

Pralines (you can find similar ones in Savannah and New Orleans, but while you are here try the ones at Market Street Sweets).

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

okay----so what and where do we find Hoppin John, John's island watermelon, and can Firefly vodka be found throughout Charleston area?

Much appreciated everyone---you are making me hungry and I can't wait!

Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

Purplescout,

My apologies - I did not read your post clearly enough; not only did you want to know what is local BUT where to find it........the good news is that Firefly Vodka can be found all over Charleston.

And while a John's Island watermelon is good enough to be on the finest restaurant's desert menu, the downtown Harris Teeter is your best bet, though the vegetable stand on Mathis Ferry is where I get mine. Here's my recipe in case you want to do some "cooking". (Be sure to get the seedless.)

Cut watermelon in 1/2. Wrap up exposed flesh with aluminum foil. Leave in refrigerator overnight. Slice off rounders the next day for breakfast, lunch, snack, and supper.

I did a search for Hoppin' John and the only restaurant that I saw that has it regularly on their menu is Poogin's Porch. Unfortunately, I'm not a Poogin's Porch fan, so I can't attest to their hoppin' john and do not recommend you go to the restaurant just to try it. The best bets for restaurants downtown who may have it one day as a side are Brent's on Broad (inexpensive local's lunch place) and Jestines.

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

adding all tips to the list..... thanks all

10. Re: what are "THE" foods famous in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2011, 05:17