We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

We may be relocating to the Charleston area. We have two kids: ages 8 and 12 and we are looking at both public schools and private schools everywhere from Mt Pleasant to West Ashley to anywhere else anyone can recommend. If there are good websites for this, we would be most grateful.

We are coming down to check out the area and wondered: is it best to stay in a privately owned house in Isle of Palms or Folley or something -to get some beach time while we look or should we stay (for convenience) at an Embassy Suites or Doubletree etc. Wherever we stay we want a kitchen and two bedrooms minimum.

Would love to get opinions on the atmosphere in the different neighborhoods. We are coming from a neighborhood where the homes were mostly built in the 50s and 60s but they have mostly been gutted and renovated inside and out sometimes. We have easy access to a private pool with a great and fun and social swim /tennis team but would like to have the same there.

The one thing that we don't like about our neighborhood (or rather two things): it's only walking distance to one or two things, private schools are 25k a year starting, and many of the homes look alike (e.g. not a lot of variety/character). We would love a house with its own pool but know that might not be possible.

We would love a neighborhood with lots of kids/families but we like privacy also. Thank you in advance for any thoughts/help, etc.

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

Good evening,

Unfortunately, I believe the Charleston experts will not get to help too much b/c your entry will most likely be closed since it's not travel-related. But they seem like pretty nice experts, so maybe they'll give you a word or two anyway esp re your trip to the beach areas. 8-)

Edited: 01 August 2010, 00:47
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
295 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

I guess a lot depends on what you will be doing and where. Will you be working downtown Charleston, retiring, or just need access to the airport for business travel? Next: your housing budget will certainly have an influence. If money's no object, then you'll be looking at Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island or even Sullivan's Island. If you're looking to get more for your money and don't mind being 25-30 miles from Charleston (closer to the airport), you might want to give one of the country club communities in Summerville a look (Pine Forest or Legend Oaks, for example). They're affordable, private, with lots of families and great recreation facilities, and there are good schools near by.

As far as where to stay while you're looking, basing yourself downtown at either of the Hilton properties you mentioned would be a nice way to get better acquainted with the jewel that is Historic Charleston. You can drive a short distance in different directions to look at properties. However, a beach house on Isle of Palms would be pretty nice as well, especially in this hot weather for the next month or so.

Good Luck!

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

As Dominee mentioned, TA's Terms of Service do not permit relocation postings. If the Charleston folks don't make it in here before this thread is closed, I recommend hopping over to the City-Data forums. Much of the discussion on C-D is dedicated to relocation questions.

www.city-data.com/forum/charleston-area/

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

As mentioned - TA does not support relocation questions and this will most likely be deleted.

That said..... I think the neighborhoods in Mt. Pleasant seem to describe more of what you are looking for. Housing is definitely not inexpensive in Mt. P. or Charleston in general, but I guess you are used to that in the DC area. Unemployment in SC is very high at this time. Do not come here if you are looking for jobs. Most areas in Mt. P have homes that are fairly new. West Ashley has lots of homes built in the 40's and 50's, but often are not renovated. N. Charleston has a higher crime rate and less desirable schools. Summerville might be an option to consider.

Neighborhoods in Mt. P to consider..... Dunes West, Brickyard Plantation, Hidden Lakes, Seaside Farms, I'on. There are more, but that is what comes to mind at the moment. Public schools in Mt. P are pretty good, much less so in other areas of town. Mt. P ( and most of Charleston) tend to be pretty spread out, so don't expect to be w/in walking distance to much of anything.

I don't have kids, so can't help on the private school issue.

I would suggest getting a home or condo on IOP for your visit. (I live on IOP) Check on www.vrbo.com for options. Wild Dunes is a gated community on IOP - www.wilddunes.com Folly Beach has much more of a college crowd since it is the only beach that legally allows alcohol on the beaches.

Edited: 01 August 2010, 01:57
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

Sorry, that should have been "Park West" not Dunes West.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

This is a travel forum not a relocation forum.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

I agree w/everything Endo said, but as far as this post goes, you will probably be shut down fairly soon.

Mt. Pleasant would be the place to look, or Daniel Island if you have unlimited funds (not giving a $$$ amount makes a big difference in Charleston). Many of the Charleston schools are not up to snuff, so private or parochial are the way for lots of folks, and won't be cheap. I don't know of alot of residential properties that have their own pools outside of the beach communities or higher end properties, most would be community pools.

For a vacation property, combined w/a research trip, IOP would be your best bet, since most of what you are interested in would be at that end of town. Charleston is pretty much really old or really new, the in-between isn't much to talk about.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

I'll stick to the travel-related question - Yes, I would stay in a rental house on the beach or very near the beach, and I'd definitely pick Isle of Palms.. However, this will SPOIL you for your house search - be warned! But go for the beach house - it will give you a good perspective of where everything is located, the traffic patterns, etc. One place to look is www.vrbo.com.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

Look in Old Mt Pleasant. not cheap but you won't need private schools.

10. Re: May be relocating from DC to Charleston area...love help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2010, 11:56