We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chocolate

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Chocolate

We like to do our own "chocolate tour" when we visit new places. Any recommendations on good chocolates and candy in the Charleston area?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chocolate

The south is known for pralines, a very rich, very sweet, pecan, brown sugar and butter confection, you can find them and chocolates at Market Street Sweets (known as River Street Sweets elsewhere)...

http://www.riverstreetsweets.com/

Edited: 05 November 2010, 00:48
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chocolate

Right. There's also a Godiva store in the shops at Charleston Place.

Delish.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chocolate

If you take a day trip down to Beaufort, stop in at The Chocolate Tree. The handmade chocolates are wonderful. The dark chocolate sand dollars are my favorite of those I have tried. http://www.thechocolatetree.us/

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chocolate

There is Lucas Belgian Chocolates on State St., fantastic. Blows Godiva out of the water. I find Godiva to be too sweet and "americanized" compared to true european chocolates.

Also.... those pralines at Market Street Sweets are to die for! I love those things. I send them all over the country at Christmas for gifts.

Edited: 05 November 2010, 03:17
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chocolate

In the heart of it all (on King) is Christophe - he used to be in I'On in Mt. Pleasant but I think that location closed (not sure). The chocolates are wonderful - if you're looking for hand-painted or funky-flavored (in a good way) this is your place.

christophechocolatier.com/file/chocolate.html

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chocolate

Oh Culture, I'm hoping they ship!!! Would love to order some for holiday gifts!!! I just sent them an e-mail, will report back!

Edited: 05 November 2010, 20:21
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chocolate

Sweet! Thank you for the tips. I'll print out a map with all these shops before our trip.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chocolate

I heard back from Christophe, they do ship and will be launching a new website around the end of November, so there will be several options in ways to order for the holidays.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chocolate

Don't miss the pralines! I'm a chocolate (darkest chocolate) lover; however, I would not be able to pass up a praline.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chocolate

Pralines will be a must! I like to try the local specialties.