We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Francis Marion or Mills House

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Francis Marion or Mills House

Trying to decide where to stay. It will be me and my husband, and a second room for my 19 year old daughter and her friend. These two hotels seem to have the best rates without having to settle for an "economy" hotel. If it were just me and my husband, we would splurge, but we will need two rooms with the kids. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open. We are leaving Florida a week from today and will arrive on Tuesday night. We will stay through late Friday afternoon before heading to NC to see family.

Also, we will have from Tuesday late dinner hour through Friday late afternoon. If anyone has any suggestions as far as "don't miss" restaurants, attractions, etc., suggestions please!

The girls like to shop, they don't like museums. I may just follow the 2 day itinerary I saw here, just because I really don't have much time to plan!

I do think we will want go on the Progressive Dinner. I think all of us would enjoy that. Also, does the Pub Tour thing allow 19 year olds? I know they can't drink (but they'll find a way I'm sure!), but can they go on the tour?

Thank you so much. I know this is last minute planning, so all the suggestions I can get are welcome :)

Lori from South Florida (where it is under 50 degrees today and 29 this morning)!

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

I should also add that the Francis Marion was $113 per night ($226 for both rooms) and the Mills House was $111 ($222 for both nights). Would like to keep it under $125 per night, but will budge by about $25 per room/per night if it's really worth it!

Also, this is our first trip to Charleston.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

Either hotel would be very nice. For location alone, I prefer The Mills House, which is right in the heart of the historic district. Your 19-year-olds will enjoy shopping on King Street and in the Charleston market area. Many great restaurants are in easy walking distance. One favored restaurant, 82 Queen, is right across the street from The Mills House.

Personally, I cannot think of any reason to do the pub tour other than for progressive drinking. We don't have the ancient historic pubs like you would find in London or Dublin. Also, the drinking age (21) is strictly enforced in Charleston.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

I agree with my buddy ^ ^ ^ kiahwahvilla. Forget the pub tour and take a carriage ride instead. I also agree about Mills House.

What kinds of food do you like? There are many great restaurants in walking distance of both hotels. My favorites include High Cotton, FIG, SNOB, 82 Queen, Jestine's, Hominy Grill, Amen, and Magnolia's.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

Okay, the pub tour is nixed! I just called for the Progressive Dinner, and they are booked, but we're first on the waiting list.

We are flexible for food types, but I think a place that has a variety would be best, but would LOVE something a bit different or unique as far as atmosphere. Here in South Florida, we are loaded with chain restaurants, and every place looks like the next. Would like to try to keep the budget to perhaps under $25 per person for dinner.

We don't get up early, so a breakfast place that is open through very late morning would be nice. We're going to try to get up and out by 10:30-11am each morning.

I think we'll end up at the Mills House. I wanted to try for a more quaint type Inn, but I haven't seen anything within our budget that is really nice. Next time when we go without the kids (adults?), we'll splurge more!

Okay, so things to do. Shopping is on the list, carriage ride is on the list. Any specific carriage tours we should use or stay away from? How about walking tours that are not boring and not TOO long?

Thanks

Lori

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

Good job.

people like Toast and joseph's for breakfast. Both are close by. Hominy is good too but it's not really in walking distance especially if this weather holds. Ack.

SNOB, High Cotton, and Magnolia's offer a variety, but there are many from which to choose. look at the restaurants reviewed here on TA and Chowhound. Lowcountry food is not like any other. Just avoid the chain-type places near the market. The ones that hawk you on the sidewalk to come in aren't recommended. You want to avoid the herd-'em-in-and-out syndrome. The great places won't do that.

The carriage rides are by lottery. They line up and you get on the next one available. You really do't get to pick and they are all good. Do that first thing so you get get acclimated. Have fun.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

You've made a good choice with The Mills House. You will not be disappointed.

There are few chain restaurants in historic Charleston. Let us know the types of food you enjoy, and we will have lots of suggestions. Shanklemsw's list (see post above) is good place to start. Also, take a look at TA's restaurants link: tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g54171-Charlesto…

Most of the walking tours take no more than a couple of hours. For an evening entertainment, you might consider a "ghost" tour. For an informative daytime history tour, consider Ed Grimball's tour: http://www.edgrimballtours.com/

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

Jestine's serves very reasonable country food for lunch or dinner. Pearlz has outstanding oysters and seafood. Southend Brewery would be a good place for food and drinks with the young ladies. Go to Sweetwater, Three Little Birds or Toast for breakfast. Glass Onion has good country food.

Jestine's Kitchen @ 251 Meeting St., Charleston, SC. 843 - 722 - 7224.

www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx…

Pearlz Oyster Bar @ 153 E. Bay St., Charleston, SC. 843 - 577 - 5755.

http://www.pearlzoysterbar.com/

Southend Brewery and Smokehouse @ 161 East Bay St., Charleston, SC 843 - 853 - 4677.

http://southendbrewery.com/

Sweetwater Cafe @ 137 Market St., Charleston, SC. 843 - 723 - 7121.

http://www.sweetwatersc.com/

The Glass Onion @ 1219 Savannah Hwy., Charleston, SC 843 - 225 - 1717.

http://www.ilovetheglassonion.com/

Three Little Birds Cafe @ 65 Windermere Blvd., Charleston, SC 843 - 225 - 3065.

threelittlebirdscafe.com/cgi-bin/…

Toast Restaurant @ 155 Meeting St., Charleston, SC. 843 - 534 - 0043.

http://www.toastofcharleston.com/

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

Don't miss the lights at James Island County Park, that night you could have dinner at either Boulevard Diner or Mustard Seed (check to see, but I think MS has wine specials on Wednesday). ..

www.dinewithsal.com

Get to the lights at 5:30, so you don't have to wait, then stop for dinner on your way back into town.

Edited: 14 December 2010, 21:14
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,817 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

With the short amount of time that you have I would stick to downtown and not bother with going to Glass Onion or 3 Little Birds. The only thing I would consider leaving downtown for would be the Christmas lights at James Island County Park. I would save restaurants in the suburbs for a longer visit in the future.

Here are some restaurant suggestions with web sites....

Basil Thai www.eatatbasil.com

SNOB (Slightly North of Broad) www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com this group also has several other restaurants

FIG (Food is Good) my favorite restaurant!! www.eatatfig.com

This website offers many menus... www.assets.lowcountrymarketplace.com//menus/

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,817 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Francis Marion or Mills House

Sorry, just discovered that the last website no longer works. :-(

You may also want to consider...

Sermet's on King Street - very good food, casual and less expensive, mediteranean

Coast Restaurant - same description as above, mostly seafood