We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a wedding reception

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
168 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a wedding reception

My daughter wants to have her reception there next November - she lives in Cincinnati and I live in Atlanta. She was born there and we both call it home but been away for about 10 years. Wants it on the water - tons of planning involved as I'm sure you can imagine. Any suggestions for successful catering, bartending and/or florists anyone has had would be greatly appreciated - thinks she has venue picked out - trying to stay within a reasonable budget 10K for event. Thanx in advance for any ideas. Lucy Atlanta

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a wedding reception

Here are a couple of great websites to help you. There is actually a Charlestpn Weddings magazine that is published by the same people who publish Charleston Magazine:

http://www.charlestonmag.com/weddings/main

This one is to the Charlestpn Weddings website:

http://www.charlestonweddingguide.com/

I have been to weddings at the Citadel Alumni House (I think you have to have a Citadel connection, but not sure) and the Sand Dunes Club on Sullivans. Both are on the ocean.

Charleston
Level Contributor
527 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a wedding reception

Try theknot.com for all things wedding planning. There is a Charleston specific area of the site as well.

when you say on the water - do you mean beach, or can it be harbor/creek/river/etc?

On the ocean you have - citadel beach house on IOP (cheaper with an alumni connection, but available to all), Sand Dunes Club on Sullivan's Island (must have a SCANA connection), and folly beach pier, maybe the Tides Hotel on Folly Beach but I"m not sure.

Alhambra Hall in the Old Village of Mt. Pleasant has harbor views. There are two venues on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant owned by Shem Creek Events: Cottage on the Creek and Lighthouse on the Creek. I'ON Creek Club is on Hobcaw Creek.

If you want to go downtown, the Aquarium is right on the harbor. Lowndes Grove is on the other side on the Ashley River. The Historic Rice Mill is also on the Ashley River.

The Island House on John's Island is a beautiful venue on the Stono River.

Check out some of those to get started!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
168 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a wedding reception

Thank you - will definitely check all those out.

4. Re: Planning a wedding reception

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 06:41