We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of March Vacation

chrisandroseanna
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
End of March Vacation

Here is what we are thinking...are we crazy.....????

We live in Kentucky....

Planning a 6 to 7 day vacation

Would like to spend a couple days each in Charleston, SC, Myrtle Beach, SC, and Savannah GA.

Would this be enough time to enjoy each city?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of March Vacation

Need to know more about your interests, but what I would suggest is that you find a place in Charleston and take a day trip to Myrtle Beach and a day trip to Savannah.

Charleston has soooo much to offer and is a totally different experience than MB, that's why we need to know what your interests are to be able to help in an effective manner. Are you just 2 adults? Are there kids? Ages? In other words, you've got to help us here. You might want to tell us your price range ($$$ not "reasonable") and if you want beach or in town.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of March Vacation

Agree with the above, give us a little more info please. I personally would skip MB altogether, but that can change if you have kids or are in your 20's to early 30's and still like to "party".

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of March Vacation

All three cities have their own charm; it really depends on your own personal taste. I live in Charleston and love it, but I have visited Myrtle Beach numerous times and worked in Savannah so I feel like my advice won’t be too terribly biased.

Myrtle Beach has miles of ocean, sandy beaches and miles of hotels & condominiums. It has more of a carnival atmosphere (no disrespect) similar to Pigeon Forge – which is what makes the area popular for families with children and teens. If you are a beach person and like putt-putt golf, Myrtle Beach is definitely for you.

Charleston is no doubt more reserved - deep seated in history, gorgeous homes & buildings from both Revolutionary and Civil war eras, brick paved streets, truly a magnificent city. You can wander for days and not see it all. I’ve been here 10 years and I still haven’t experienced all I want. Our beaches (we have several) are mostly residential/vacation rental homes with few hotels and shops.

Savannah is very similar in history and fabulous architecture, but greener. What I mean is they still have their trees – they built beautiful squares to control the traffic and preserve the natural beauty of the area. Charleston lost a good many trees to hurricane Hugo in 1989, so the downtown area of Savannah has a much more lush, garden atmosphere. As far as beaches, I have to say, I prefer Charleston’s beaches to Tybee Island.

Honestly, you could do all three cities in a whirlwind (2 days each), to get a feel for where you’d like to spend your next trip down this way. Each city is about 1 ½ hr. drive apart (Charleston in the center), maybe 2 hrs. depending on traffic, and you would get to experience some great Lowcountry views of the ocean, harbors, rivers, tidal creeks and marshlands. But! Combining my personal knowledge of all three and my personal preference, I would no doubt select Charleston and Savannah. 3 days each is not enough to see everything, but just enough to savor the flavor.

I do hope this offers you more help than confusion.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of March Vacation

I agree with the above comments, but I will suggest skipping Myrtle Beach altogether unless you have specific interests in laying out on the beach, golf, and the "carnival" like atmosphere that Amos mentioned. This does not necessarily mean that I don't care for MB, it's just that it is perhaps the odd man out in the group. Another thing to consider is that it is Spring Break season, so MB will be teaming with high schoolers and college kids, some of which can become obnoxious after a while.

To throw in another destination into the ring, I would suggest Beaufort as an option as well. Beaufort is about halfway between Charleston and Savannah and is a charming, historic small town. If nature interests you as well, you should check out Hunting Island State Park. You could do it as a day trip between the cities or you could consider spending a night there (perhaps at a B&B?).

For a 7 day / 6 night vacation, I would suggest do 3 to 4 nights in Charleston, 1 night in Beaufort, and 1 to 2 nights in Savannah. I would argue (and the Charleston destination experts will agree with me) that there is more to do in AND around Charleston than Savannah, and I also agree that Charleston's beaches are better than Tybee (and closer to downtown).

See the following link for more about Beaufort.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c148454/Beaufo…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c137780/Beaufo…

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of March Vacation

Even in late March there is no certainty of good beach weather. Myrtle Beach is lots of fun, but will MB meet your expectations if it's too cold to enjoy the beach?

If you concentrate your time on Charleston, Beaufort, and Savannah, you can easily day trip to a nearby beach if we're having a warm sunny spell.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of March Vacation

I would skip Myrtle Beach and Savannah and stay around Charleston. Pick one of the islands and have a great time!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: End of March Vacation

Original poster really needs to provide additional information on interests and what they hope to get out of this vacation in order to get good advice. Just saying avoid MB doesn't make sense if we don't know the posters interests.

8. Re: End of March Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 06:27