We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for kids

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
216 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
ideas for kids

We will be spending 3 nights in Charleston before heading to HHI for Spring Break. We will have our 9 and 13 year old boys with us. Can anyone give suggestions of things to do with them? Places to eat would also be appreciated. We will be staying at the King Charles Inn. Thanks

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for kids

I think you and your boys would enjoy Patriots Point. You can tour a World War 2 aircraft carrier and a sub. Lots of planes located on the deck to look at.

http://www.patriotspoint.org/

Edited: 05 February 2011, 00:01
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for kids

Start at the Aquarium.

When are you coming?

usa
Level Contributor
216 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for kids

We will be coming Aril 18th. Those two suggestions look great! Please keep them coming!! Thanks

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for kids

Ft. Moultrie, the Hunley (if you're here on a weekend), and an eco-tour. The Riverdogs start playing some time in April - it is wonderful to see "future major leaguers" play baseball the way it used to be played.

Enjoy your visit - HH will be nice, for sure, but you will "never" run out of things to do here.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for kids

When my kids were the age of your boys they enjoyed a "ghost tour", walking around the historic district. The ghost tours are filled with history, as well as with legend and lore. A walking tour can be a very nice way to spend a fine spring evening!

usa
Level Contributor
216 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas for kids

I was considering a Ghost Tour. Can anyone recommend the best company to use? Thanks

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas for kids

Your boys are old enough to be welcomed on most any of the ghost tours. I suggest that you browse though the offerings, pick some tours that look interesting, and then read the TripAdvisor reviews and post on this forum for advice from recent visitors.

Here is one tour, which I have not taken but would certainly consider if I were traveling with boys: http://charlestonpiratetour.com/default.aspx

For best enjoyment of Charleston in the evening, choose ghost tours that move around in the historic district rather than one concentrates on an interior location. Check with the company about starting and ending points of tours, since most tours don't return to the starting point and you will be getting back to your hotel on your own.

You will see many references to Bulldog Tours, which is a highly regarded company. However, I have found some Bulldog tours too crowded with adults, too intense, and - in some cases - inappropriate for kids.

One specific caution: I do NOT recommend Bulldog's "Haunted Old City Jail" tour for children. Even some adults find the tour, and the jail's disturbing social history, uncomfortable.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ideas for kids

My *off-the-beaten* path suggestions: Firemen's Museum (http://www.legacyofheroes.org/) located near the Tanger Outlet Mall; and The Charleston Area Model Railroad Club (http://chamrc.com/index.htm) located at the Citadel Mall.

north carolina
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ideas for kids

We did a different pirate tour last spring with our three kids, ages 16, 13 and 10. It was self guided, which we liked, because it allowed us to break it into two different days and work it around other activities. Look up the Brass Pirate on TA and you'll see my review, along with a more recent review that provides tips I wish we'd had last spring.

The price was reasonable ($30 for our family) and it was done in a scavenger hunt style, which was lots of fun for the kids. They even got a pirate flag to take home at the end.

I haven't done the other pirate tour mentioned, but think that looks like fun, too, especially if you prefer a guide and/or think your kids would enjoy a "real pirate" over a scavenger hunt.

It was lots of fun to pair this with lunch at the Buccaneer.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ideas for kids

My kids have always enjoyed visiting warships. They have been to a few in NYC, Wilmington, NC and Mobile, AL. I would certainly take your kids to Patriot's Point.