We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's on our trip in April

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's on our trip in April

Well, we are booked for our trip to the Charleston area (in part) for April. Staying at the Hampton Inn Hist Dist for 3 nights. So, we will have two full days to explore the area. Here is what is on my list so far. We are a young family of 3 with a 1 1/2 yr old toddler.

Saturday Farmers Market (this one is not negociable)

Lots of walking and picture taking

Charleston Water Taxi

USS Yorktown (and vicinity)

A plantation or two (can anyone suggest, thinking Boone Hall and Magnolia but perhaps will only have time for one, what is our best bet?)

Charleston Tea Plantation (I have ag background in the Midwest, this seems very interesting to me but is it suitable for a toddler?)

Brief visit and a meal to a beach area like IOP

Other - looking for input.

Thanks

DA

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

They might enjoy the Children's Museum and the Aquarium.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

The Tea Plantation will be relaxing for your toddler. He will enjoy the slow trolley ride through the tea fields. He would also enjoy watching machinery, but I think that the plantation does not start harvesting and processing tea leaves until May. (Plants go dormant in the winter, and need time to wake up and grow; so harvest is May through October.)

When you go to the Tea Plantation, be sure to stop at The Angel Oak Tree http://www.angeloaktree.org/. Like most parents I know, you will want a photo of your little one standing under the tree.

Also, drive all the way out the Maybank Highway to where it ends in the water at the beautiful old town of Rockville. On your way back, stop just outside Rockville at Cherry Point Seafood to see the shrimp boats!

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

Thanks for the tips folks.

Lots of ideas - in 2 days we will assuredly not hit them all though.

What is really can't miss?

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

I'm guessing your little one would enjoy a downtown carriage tour so I'd say add that to your list as well. It's enjoyable for adults as well, as the guides are invariably entertaining and well-versed in Charleston history.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

Definately a carriage ride, Waterfront Park (play and usually see dolphins), White Point Gardens (play on the cannons and in the gazebo). Depending on the weather, you might be able to squeeze in a short trip to the beach.

You will have to factor in naps and necessary "changes". The Children's Museum is very close to your hotel.

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

Thanks!

Between my list and your suggestion, we have more than enough to do upon our visit. Now, the hard part might be narrowing our list because yes, we do have to factor in a few naptimes, pamp changes, etc.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

You can visit Middleton Place and Drayton Hall at the same time as they are very close on Ashley River Road.

Drayton Hall @ 3380 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC 843 - 769 - 2600.

http://www.draytonhall.org/

Middleton Place @ 4300 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC 843 - 556 - 6020.

http://www.middletonplace.org/

Stop by Amen Street for lunch and great seafood.

Amen Street Seafood and Raw Bar @ 205 East Bay Street, Charleston, SC 843 - 853 - 8600.

http://www.amenstreet.com/

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

Yes, there is lots to enjoy around Charleston. Looks like you had better start planning another trip now!

In any event, don't focus on cramming in too much. There's plenty to experience in just walking around the historic streets. You and your son will stay happier if you just go with the flow.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

They moved some of Sidi's petting farm animals from Rosebank Farms out to the tea plantation didn't they? Or to the Firefly distillery? We're going out to Firefly on Saturday for the tasting so I'll check it out.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must do's on our trip in April

The animals are at Sidi's sister's property on Wadmalaw - The Irvin-House Vineyards. http://charlestonwine.com/ I think that Sidi may be keeping the mule with him.