We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd trip to Charleston

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2nd trip to Charleston

My Husband and I loved Charleston so much last year, we decided to go back. WE will be in CHS 3/15-3/19, with a car. We did Ft. Sumter, a guided tour and lots of eating last year. This year we would like to possibly take a day trip to Savannah and another maybe to Beaufort. We plan to stay in town for St. Patty's day, any suggestions. I have heard Sav is great on 3/17, but we don't want to be on the roads. Any new or old restaurants we should hit. Or anyone's must do's?We are staying in the historic district this year too!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

Unless you are in college (IMO) Savannah is not the place to be on St. Patrick's Day. Lots of drunkeness. Charleston does not have the big festival that Savannah does. On Sullivan's Island Dunleavy's Pub does a St. Paddys day celebration. Downtown at Tommy Condon's they usually have something.

Don't know what you did or where you ate last year, so hard to make suggestions. :-)

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

I will agree with endo here... St. Patty's in Savannah is fun for some, but more mature travellers will likely not care for it... it's a similar carnival atmosphere to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The parade is fun in the morning, but typically the drunks ruin it as the day progresses.

Glad to hear though that you may have an interest in coming to Beaufort! We'd love to have you in town. The historic downtown is certainly worth your time to wonder around or take a guided carriage or walking tour. We have a lovely waterfront park with great dining in downtown, If you love nature and the weather is cooperating, you may want to trek out to Hunting Island State Park (20 min away), a natural gem in the Lowcountry. On your way to town, be sure to stop by the Old Sheldon Church Ruins.

Here's some more info on a day trip....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c137780/Beaufo…

Happy travels,

BT

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

Welcome back !

Don't forget to save some time to visit with a realtor - it's usually on the 2nd or 3rd trip that people start planning for the future. ;-)

Do let us know where you went last time so we can try to "top that".

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

Last year we hit up a few good restaurants and did a ton of walking. I would like to know where to find a good seafood place and another great BBQ- last yr we went to I think Jim& Nicks? We also did a guided tour of the historic district. We also were able to make it to Ft. Sumter. We would like to take a little day trip somewhere too.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

As far as bbq, since you've already tried Jim & Nick's you should probably sample Home Team BBQ and Bessinger's out in West Ashley (HT has another location on Sullivan's Island as well, I believe).

I've had both and personally I don't care for Bessinger's, mainly because of its mustard-based sweetish sauce which offends my NC vinegar sauce sensibilities ;-). But lots of people swear by Bessinger's so obviously they have some idea what they're doing.

Home Team BBQ is pretty good, even considering those SC folk are behind the curve on bbq in general. ;-) HT is a better choice for the bbq palate that isn't attuned to the mustard-based sauce, imo.

But hey, try both and see which you prefer. If you're more used to a ketchup or vinegar-based smoky sauce, then the mustard base takes some getting used to. Bessinger's does a Sunday buffet which quite a few folks are fond of.

Another bbq joint I've meant to try but haven't yet gotten around to it on my visits is Melvin's BBQ, which also goes with the mustard base for its main heavy hitter sauce, I believe. Perhaps that's why I've yet to try it, but that's another possibility for you to consider.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

Home Team is my favorite, too. I must confess that I like Texas and NC bbq, better.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

Me too SCB. Home Team has Brunswick Stew which none of the others have.

It's hard to recommend a seafood place since we still don't know which ones you went to last time. Try Hank's, High Cotton, Pearlz, or FIG if you didn't go last time.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

I like Home Team BBQ. Bessimer's is okay, but there are other places in and around Charleston to get mustard-based BBQ (my favorite).

I'm partial to Palmetto State BBQ!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

Unfortunately, there is no longer anywhere to get vinegar based barbeque in Charleston anymore. :-( Since Momma Brown's lost their lease. Hopefully, they will be reopening in a new location before too long.

Almost every where in the Charleston area serves seafood, so there are tons of good places.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2nd trip to Charleston

^^Heh, I've daydreamed a time or two of moving down and opening a vinegar-based cue stand after noting the paucity of vinegar-based joints down there.

Unfortunately, to do bbq right the old school way over an actual pit takes years of experience to be a great pit master.

Now if only I had that know-how...I could rule the Charleston bbq world! ;-)