We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

Never been to Charleston! Trying to do some research. If you prefer one over the other, let me know! It will be myself and my husband and our 3 year-old. We would like some beach, swimming, and shopping. We do enjoy walking to places but it is OK if we can't. It is for 5 nights in April. Thanks!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

Just to the right you'll see a box "Which beach is best?" which compares and contrasts. Here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54171-c99416/Charles…

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

Thank you for that. I did actually read your link first. I didn't get enough info to make a decision from that. Maybe I am looking for more of a suggestion about what is to do in those specific areas...not sure how to ask what I am looking for.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

OK, well let me try. The ocean will still be a little chilly so be aware of that. Real shopping is downtown. You can find beach shopping on both Folly and IOP with more of a variety on Folly. Both have fun restaurants, both are family friendly. Folly does get a younger local crowd on weekends and you don't say what days you come. Any other activities? Plantations? Civil War sites? Nature sites? Boat ride?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

What type of price range are you looking for, as well???

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

Great info! Thank you so much! I really feel like a stranger in a strange land.

For a price range we were thinking $1,000 or under. Don't know if this is cutting it close--We are driving (far drive from W. NY!) and figure we will arrive Sat and have to leave on Thursday...so 5 nights.

We would love to hit the aquarium for our son, do some shopping and walking on the beach...would love to see Charleston and be able to walk around and take in different scenery. I read that Sully's island Beach? Is good to go to to watch Dolphins. So those are my only ideas! When trying to decide on a hotel I would like to be in a good location to get all of those things in. You mention the beach will still be chilly so I wonder if getting a hotel on the beach is not the best idea. But again the view would be nice to have. The hotels I have looked into are 1. Seaside Inn 2. The Palms Hotel--both on Ocean Blvd. The other is Tides Folly in at Folly beach. I can't help but figure there might be some in-between places in those two areas that I am not finding on orbitz or hotels.com but don't really know.

Sorry for all of the babble! Anything that you have to add or suggest based on what I have said would be helpful. I do appreciate your time.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

Personal message me.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 18:14
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

The only hotel you've missed is Wild Dunes Resort on IOP. There aren't any in between those two. Sullivans has no hotels. You can see dolphins on the bridge between Sullivans and IOP daily, especially early and around sunset. You can also see them in the CHarleston harbor. You might be happier getting a place downtown so you can sightsee there and just visit the beach for a day. The average water temp in April is 64-68.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html

Take a carriage ride first thing to get oriented.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

I second getting a room in Charleston and visiting the beach for the day. Have lunch and spend a few hours on the beach and head back to the city to shop and sightsee. Good luck.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,299 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

There are only 3 hotels on the Isle of Palms, none on Sullivan's Island and 1 on Folly Beach. None are high rise hotels like you might find in Florida or Myrtle Beach. There are condos to rent on both IOP and Folly, once summer comes most of them rent for only 1 week at a time, but in April you will still find some flexibility. I do think it is a great idea to stay downtown where you can walk to so many sights, restaurants, etc and then take an afternoon or 2 to vist the beach areas.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isle of Palms or Folly Beach?

I, too, agree w/staying in the Historic District, that way, you'll also be able to easily return to your digs if the little one gets fussy and needs a little down time. Maybe check out Best Western Prince Charles, where there is free parking, included.

Another alternative lately has been to check out VRBO for a carriage house or another sort of property in the HD that is rented out by the night, then you might also have kitchen facilities available, as well.