We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
995 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

Hello,

We are finalizing our upcoming trip to Savannah/Beaufort/and Charleston. We are traveling with our 2 kids aged 10 & 8.

Here what the final itinerary looks like.Need feedback/suggestions:

Day 1-Savannah , Georgia (Friday, March 25)

Wander historic district, squares, Forsyth Park Visit historic homes on the squares: Juliet Gordon Low’s Birthplace; Cathedral St John’s the Baptist; First African American Baptist Church; Owens-Thomas House; City Market.

Laurel Grove Cemetery (Exercise caution with surroundings)

River Street

Day 2 – Savannah, GA (Saturday, March 26)

Bonaventure Cemetery & Isle of Hope and Wormloe Plantation

PM—Historic District and River Street/Squares

Day 3 – Savannah, GA (Sunday, March 27)

Old Fort Jackson + Fort Pulasky+ Tybee Island

Day 4 – Beaufort, SC (Monday, March 28) and head to Charleston in PM to sleep

Leave Savannah early after breakfast and arrive in Beaufort at 9:30am.

10:00 - carriage tour through historic district

11:00 - shopping / strolling in downtown Beaufort

11:30 - lunch

12:30 - head out to Hunting Island (about 20-30 min drive)

5:00 - head back to town

5:30 - dinner

6:30 - leave Beaufort

7:00 - Old Sheldon Church Ruins - bring bug spray

Day 4 – PM (Monday, March 28) 8:15pm / 8:30pm - arrive in Charleston

Day 5 – Tuesday, March 29 (Charleston, SC)

AM: Take Water Taxi at 9am to HD -- and do all related activities//Children’s museum; Market Square; White Point Gardens, The Battery; Waterfront Park, etc.. Shop in The Market and go down to Waterfront Park and White Point Gardens…

PM: Patriot’s Point on return from downtown via water taxi.

Day 6 - Still in Charleston, SC (Wednesday, March 30) : Middleton/Drayton Hall + Angel Oak & Folly Beach

Do Middleton Place/Drayton Hall…in the AM until 1pm (lunch)

Then head to the Angel Oak Tree and Folly Beach in the afternoon

Day 7 – Still in Charleston, SC (Thursday, March 31)

AM - Fort Moultrie in Sullivan Island /Dolphin Watch---

PM—Historic District//City Market, etc….

Day 8 – Friday, April 1

Do Magnolia Plantation and head to Florida.

Open to alternative suggestions before heading to Fla in afternoon.

Am I missing anything here? If so, please advise if itinerary can be re-arranged to include other "must-sees/must-dos".

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

Goodness but aren’t you energetic! I’m not sure I could keep up with your pace, but you’ve definitely done your homework. I love both Savannah & Charleston and it looks like you’ve covered a wide variety of options and taking in as many opportunities as you can, so I only have a few suggestions on your Charleston visit, and they are minor:

When strolling downtown Charleston, you might try this self guided tour: The Gateway Garden Walk – links The Unitarian Church to St. Phillip’s Church. There are even ideas for scavenger hunt to keep the kids interested: postandcourier.com/news/… www.stjohnscharleston.org/index.php…

Another good game to keep them interested is to spot the Philip Simmons iron work throughout Charleston www.philipsimmons.us/works.htm

I noticed on Day 5, you have Patriot’s Point in the late afternoon as you return from the water-taxi. We have been having really warm weather and the exhibits heat up at Patriots Point after being in the sun all day. I usually suggest PP as a first thing in the morning activity during warmer weather. If it happens to turn out that way for you, you can easily reschedule that visit to a.m. of Day 7 and still have plenty of time at Ft. Moultrie & Sullivan’s Island. The hamburgers at Poe's on SI are highly recommended.

On Day 6, when you leave Drayton Hall (Hwy. 61), turn right onto Bee’s Ferry Rd. There is a shopping center just on the left. Bi-Lo grocery deli, Ladles (fresh soup, salads, sandwiches) or South of Philly (pizza/subs) are all good places to pick up a picnic lunch to enjoy at the Angel Oak. Even better is the Tomato Shed Café: follow Bee’s Ferry toward Hwy. 17 but turn left onto Main Rd. Cross over Hwy. 17 and follow out a couple of miles. The Stono Market Tomato Shed Café is on the right and directly on your path to the Angel Oak. Farm to table fresh food! www.stonofarmmarket.com/tomatoshedcafe.html

Finally, I’m wondering if your youngsters might like a canoe trip through the Caw Caw Interpretative Center http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?nid=53 in place of a third (Magnolia) plantation visit. Since it’s a county park, you’ll spend less than half the money and maybe even have twice the fun. It’s on Hwy. 17 South and would put you right on the road to Fla.

You did a fantastic job with your itinerary; I know you’ll enjoy your visit!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
995 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

Thanks so much.

We are eliminating Magnolia Plantation on Friday, April 1, and would like to replace it with something a little bit more kids-friendly before we head back to Florida.

More suggestions and feedback welcome.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

Caw Caw or Birds of Prey http://www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org would be a good options if they enjoy the outdoors, animals in the wild, etc.

Also recommend the Barrier Islands Eco Tours out of Isle of Palms: http://www.nature-tours.com/trips.html. Excellent variety of options for “hands-on” outings.

Charlestown Landing has a small (22 acres) animal habitat, but it might be redundant after the other plantations & history related tours: www.charlestowne.org/animalforest.shtml,

Friday, April 1 is the first day of Flowetown Festival in Summerville. summervilleymca.org/wp-content/uploads/onlin…

Are they interested in disc golf, water skiing or wakeboard lessons? http://www.trophylakes.com

Add these in with everything you already have planned and I think I might be scraping the bottom of the barrel now with Blackbeard’s Cove: http://blackbeardscove.net/index_home.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

I would certainly second the Birds of Prey Center, in Awendaw, and either /or Chrales Towne Landing or the SC Aquarium and sea turtle tour.

It takes a long time to tour Patriots Point. Your times seem to a little tight.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
995 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

Birds of prey website is down.

I cannot access it to check out activities, price and directions.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

There's a forest fire up there this morning. They may have evacuated, or in the process of doing so. Wait a day or two and try again.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

I hope they are okay. The center is really great and should be at the top of the lists of must sees. I am just speaking for our family, but we liked it a lot better than magnolia Gardens and certainly Boone Hall, IMO. Some times people are wrapped up in seeing buildings, plantations etc. that they miss the utter beauty of the low country.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

The link is working now.

9. Re: Savannah, Beauford and Charleston w/kids -Itinerary Feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 13:15