We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prebook restaurant?

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Prebook restaurant?

Well our trip to the Charleston area is less than a week away.

I have heard a few times on here that it is wise to book a restaurant in the H.D. ahead of time to assure you can get in? We will be staying in the H.D. on a Thursday night and a Friday night and would like one nice meal at a notable establishment. Should I book ahead? I don't really want to as it is nice to kind of browse while enjoying the sights, but yet I don't want to be totally shut out because everything is reserved tight. Also, we don't have the option of eating late to get in, as we will have a young child along who is not good staying up late, period.

Thx.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prebook restaurant?

Yes, I would choose your restaurants and make your reservations, especially since you will have a child w/you, otherwise you could end up waiting for an hour or more, just standing around.

We don't usually have youngsters w/us and still like to make our reservations.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prebook restaurant?

I agree with kb. You can browse afterward if your young one is still game.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prebook restaurant?

Make the reservations. About 2 weeks ago on Thurs we decided to go out with another couple on Sat nite - long story short - we couldn't get a reservation for any good restaurant downtown prior to 9pm, if at all. Also recently just my hubby and I were going to go out on Fri, couldn't find anything, ended up staying home.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prebook restaurant?

I second getting reservations. Charleston is a great city and restaurants will get booked up easily but there are 500 restaurants in this great city. Here's a link to the top restaurants there. Start planning now. Good luck.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g54171-Charlesto…

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prebook restaurant?

OK - then I think I will book one or two for a couple evening meals to ensure we are able to get in at a good time of the night. I suppose if we find someplace else, we can just cancel and move on. Better that than not getting to try what we want to eat. Don't get to Charleston every day, ya know:)

Do you think lunch time will be as bad?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prebook restaurant?

Not if you go before 12 or after 1:30. People that work in the HD will be eating during their lunch hour.

You will see restaurants with hawkers out front trying to lure you in. The really good places do not have to do that.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prebook restaurant?

Blossom and Carolina's are fun for lunch. Fleet Landing has average food but a great view.

Blossom @ 171 East Bay St., Charleston, SC. 843 - 722 - 9200.

http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/

Carolina's Restaurant @ 10 Exchange St., Charleston, SC. 843 - 724 - 3800.

http://www.carolinasrestaurant.com/

Fleet Landing Restaurant @ 186 Concord St., Charleston, SC. 843 - 722 - 8100.

http://www.fleetlanding.net/

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prebook restaurant?

We just returned from Charleston, and I pre-booked four dinners and one lunch on Open Table. It is very easy to use, and even shows reviews of restaurants. It was good that I had pre-booked early, since the restaurants I wanted to visit showed few times available right before we left. You can always cancel online, or call the restaurant directly to cancel. We arrived very early to two restaurants, and they both sat us right away.

http://www.opentable.com/home.aspx

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prebook restaurant?

OK...

I am glad you kind folks told me to prebook. I booked FIG for a Thursday night early evening, and it was the ONLY slot left from then through that weekend!

Thanks so much for the tip - with a small toddler we don't want to wander for hours trying to get in a restaurant of our choosing.

Also, I did send an e-mail to FIG advising we have a child, is that ok, etc....

Got a reply back that said is absolutely ok, just request a high chair at reservation, and see you then. It is not our best thought to take a young child to a nice place like this BUT we have no choice AND we wanted to try this place due to its publicized emphasis on locally grown food.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prebook restaurant?

FIG is wonderful food, not a particularly romantic or quiet place, so you shouldn't have any problems taking a little one...just enjoy!!!